What to Make of Refuges This Pheasant Season?

Most of the California wildlife refuges have less water -- and lower hunter quotas -- this season.

That will make them harder to get on, but there will be more upland habitat available for hunting theoretically -- or at least available for the birds. Do you expect better pheasant hunting as a result? Will more upland habitat -- as opposed to wetland habitat -- help the population next season?

I hunt with a Lab, so I always prefer more water than not on the refuges -- more opportunities to trap birds and force them to fly -- as opposed to run. And, of course, a water retrieve is no problem for most Labs, although a soggy rooster doesn't quite have the same stunning appearance as a bird killed on dry land. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I guess it depends on how and when a lot of the ponds dried up. If they were flooded until mid spring and dried up slowly they could've produced some very good brood cover. I didn't get out during the spring to check it out like I normally do so I'm not sure how it looks at my local(ish) refuges.

I don't see any positives for wildlife-area pheasants stemming from this water shortage -- this year, next year or ever. Conditions that are the polar opposite are what's needed, and even then the gains are only minimal. The bottom line is there just isn't enough suitable habitat for the birds and a drought is highly unlikely to create any.

Additional dry ground on the refuges, in and of itself, is of little or no benefit. For a piece of ground to produce pheasants, it has to go through wet/dry cycles throughout spring and summer like it used to before farming practices became so efficient. Simply drying up plots that were formerly flooded isn't going to produce anything that's of great use to them.

A gradually drying wetland will not produce brood cover -- that would already have to be in place. It may bring about the emergence of the broad-leaf plants, which would in turn host the insects that the chicks need early in life, but even that's unlikely because that ground would be untilled and covered with grass. In any case, any such plants would need to be directly adjacent to existing brood-rearing cover. If the hens are forced to march the chicks any distance at all to get to it, they become easy pickings for predators.

It'd be nice if wildlife area personnel took advantage of the situation and burned off a lot of the worthless dry ground they have right now and allowed it to get a fresh start. That won't happen, though.

Maybe there'll be some kind of fluke situation somewhere that will produce some birds and a few people will get some good hunting. As an overall theme, though, the outlook is not promising.

It'd be nice if wildlife area personnel took advantage of the situation and burned off a lot of the worthless dry ground they have right now and allowed it to get a fresh start. That won't happen, though.

I totally agree with this and I have a list of fields for them to start.:thumbsup:

On the bright side, after opening weekend and a few waterfowlers I have a feeling I will have all my favorite fields to myself.:cheers:

As far as burning fields, an employee set a big part of Gray Lodge on fire some time back but it didn't change anything as far as the pheasants are concerned. Chick survival is where it's all happening.
You've also got to remember that waterfowl are a heavily regulated resource where a lot of effort and money is spent to increase their numbers through federal and state programs. That's where the money is so that's where the ground gets turned. Pheasants are an exotic species that are embarrassingly also an upland species which would seem to be entitled to some of the Upland Game Bird Enhancement stamp money however, that goes mostly to dove (native bird) food plots. If a pheasant exists in the area they are welcome to eat all they want of the plots but spend stamp money on pheasant brood strips? Not likely.

Pheasants aren't the only upland nesting bird that would benefit from better nesting/ brood cover.

Pheasants aren't the only upland nesting bird that would benefit from better nesting/ brood cover.

No they aren't but as far as game birds it's turkeys, quail and pheasants on the wildlife areas. Quail are in relatively low numbers no matter what it seems because there is a lot of good quail cover on some of the refuges but with consistently low quail populations. Turkeys? They'd like to eliminate them from the refuges as they out compete the pheasants for nesting habitat. There's a good correlation between the time turkey numbers increased and pheasant populations declined. They aren't the only cause of low pheasant numbers but they contribute to it. That leaves pheasants as the dominant upland game bird for hunters. The stamp's fund isn't titled Upland Bird Enhancement, it's Upland Game bird Enhancement and those three game birds are the only ones on the low land refuges that I can think of.

As far as burning fields, an employee set a big part of Gray Lodge on fire some time back but it didn't change anything as far as the pheasants are concerned. Chick survival is where it's all happening.

Conversely, they had an accidental fire at Delevan during the winter of 2010-11 that was of tremendous benefit the following season. It led to greater chick survival and the southern end of that place was full of birds (relatively speaking) the next fall.

Of course, it also coincided with substantial rainfall, and the second part of that equation undoubtedly played a big role.

Of course, it also coincided with substantial rainfall, and the second part of that equation undoubtedly played a big role.

The right amount of moisture at the right time will always be the key. That and keeping the Mosquito Abatement Districts at bay. Bugs and the edge of wetness.

Reports I've heard from the major wildlife areas in the valley have been dismal. After about 25 man hours on the ground at Gray Lodge, Sacramento, Delevan and Grizzly Island, I've heard of only a small handful of roosters seen, and just two of those within marginal shooting distance. Maybe twice as many hens, but that's it.

Not good at all.

Well three years of drought has surely hampered pheasant populations but, and this is the optimist in me, I think it will get better. Just like last year hunting conditions have been dismal so far this season. Hot and dry weather has made scenting conditions very tough on the dogs and a running rooster only compounds the problem. I don't think the hunting will get great all of the sudden but I do believe that as conditions get better more birds will be seen by hunters and maybe, just maybe we will get the precipitation we so badly need this rain season. All we can do is hope.

Keep in mind that I did not hunt through the "good ol' days" of California pheasants. I only have 7 years in the game and the first year I hunted (dogless) I spent 7 days kicking through Los Banos before I flushed my first rooster, which I promptly missed. I have only a few years to measure against but it has been tough out there these last few seasons.

For what it's worth, my buddy hunted the 1st Monday special pheasant hunt at Sacramento NWR. Had to work for them, but he limited with three wild roosters, lost one he hit, and said he easily could've had four or five more.

For what it's worth, my buddy hunted the 1st Monday special pheasant hunt at Sacramento NWR. Had to work for them, but he limited with three wild roosters, lost one he hit, and said he easily could've had four or five more.

Thats awesome! I've been wanting to hunt Sac refuge for a while now. I talked with a guy that hunted Yolo on sunday and he and his buddy both got their two birds.

Well I'm really new to the game and I will just stick with it. All I can do is hope I find some birds and then hope my shot is on. I hope to get to a few different places this season but all in all I enjoy the time spent with my hunting partner and the dogs the most. Birds in the bag are icing on the cake!

Back