What is the difference

I see their are different kinds of spaniels What is the difference between an English Springer spaniel, , a Springer Spaniel and Field bred Springer Spaniel?

Springer..Springer Spaniel..is just short for the full name of the dog which is English Springer Spaniel. Field bred means it's a hunting dog..which is important because some English Springer Spaniels are Show bred which means they were bred to look good for dog shows. You will want a Field bred English Springer Spaniel!

I believe that these are three names for the same breed with the only distinction being the "field" bred reference alludes to the bloodlines coming from hunting proven stock. This is versus their possibly being from "show" backgrounded stock.

The AKC registers all English Springer Spaniels as one breed (Springer Spaniel or "Springer" is just a short-hand reference). In reality however, there is a very distinct split between the gene pools of dogs that are bred to hunt - "field bred Springers" & the show ring or as pets. This link explains the differences:

http://www.essft.com/fieldshow.html

Some unscrupulous breeders will market their bench bred dogs as hunting dogs after getting a Junior Hunter title on the parents but this is NOT what you want if you're looking for a gun dog.

Slidellkid, where are you located? Maybe someone can reference you to a good breeder, or a spaniel club. My feeling is if you're asking this question, you most likely have a lot of other questions. There are a lot of people who are willing to help!

Mnaj,

I live in South Carolina. I don't know of any breeders here, but there is one in Georgia. Lots of folks use Boykins down here for doves and ducks and they are a wonderful breed with lots of energy but I'm not sure if they are big enough in pheasant country. I think the ESS is a little bit bigger dog.

One of my concerns is that we no longer have a huntable quail population and therefore I won't be able to keep a dog in "bird" shape unless I buy some birds or go to a preserve (I do have a buddy that owns a preserve :)). I will be making an annual trip to SD or ND in years to come and really want a dog geared for pheasant hunting.

Boykins are nice little dogs, but you're right, a leg giver springer is better for pheasant. But keeping a spaniel in "bird" shape all depends on your standards. A spaniel can be serviceable with some solid obedience. But if you require more, your training will reflect it. Also, pigeons are good for spaniel training.

Back