What has your dog tangled with?

Hub

So you're dog is looking birdy, and you've got the gun ready expecting a flush, but instead of a bird a <Fill in the Blank> popped out instead.

My biggest surprise of this fashion was a badger who meant business. Both my dog and I turned tail and ran as the badger chased us. I bet I made it 20 yards before I realized I had a shotgun and turned around and let the badger have it in the face from about 3 paces. Another time my dog had point in a small cattail slough, but it turned out to be a pretty big coyote. The yote didn't want to have anything to do with me or the dog and I rolled him with load of 5's as his ran the other way.

So what have you ran into?

We ran into 2-3 skunks this year. My dog somehow got it on her but she didn't actually get sprayed. I think she ran through an area where it had sprayed. My friend watched a large skunk with his binoculars as we were blocking, the skunk was right in front of our friends walking through the corn. He had no way of telling them there was a skunk in front of them.
We then saw them split up and out of the cornfield. Pretty funny stuff that was.

That's getting to be a pretty long list. It goes something like: deer, turkey, coyote, bobcat, badger, coon, possum, skunk, turtle, cottontail, bullsnake, stray cat. One year I had 8 pointed skunks before I had 8 pointed birds. It can get spooky to step in front of a dog after about 3.

Skunks, turkeys, 'coons, groundhogs, the normal stuff. :rolleyes: My male GSP has retrieved a number of live armadillos, much to my hunting friends amazement. Most shocking was a bobcat and a greenhead mallard. Where the *&!@#$^$ did he come from?? Out in a field, behind a grass clump.

Wonder what the dog was thinkin'. ???

I have been lucky I guess he has pointed a porcupine and a few things like that but never in the field while hunting. If I smell a skunk I call him and we turn away from the smell. Like I said 9 years and no trouble yet.---Bob

We've had our bouts with a few critters. It's bound to happen. I have one dog that gets sprayed by a skunk nearly every time we go out west. We've ran into coyotes in CRP and uncut milo (yes, I had permission!). We've had one encounter with a badger and that has the potential to get pretty nasty.

Quailguy....your story about armadillos reminded me of the time my dog caught 2 possums during the same grouse hunting trip. It was during a midwinter warm up. My old dog came prancing up like he was carrying one of his toys, but instead he had a possum playing possum in his mouth.

Same here; the dog brought up the armadillos, very much alive, just as if he had the biggest bird ever found. :rolleyes:

He brought them to hand, then went right off to hunt 'em up as if this were an everyday occurance.

What a goofball!

Porcupine Point

So you're dog is looking birdy, and you've got the gun ready expecting a flush, but instead of a bird a <Fill in the Blank> popped out instead.

My biggest surprise of this fashion was a badger who meant business. Both my dog and I turned tail and ran as the badger chased us. I bet I made it 20 yards before I realized I had a shotgun and turned around and let the badger have it in the face from about 3 paces. Another time my dog had point in a small cattail slough, but it turned out to be a pretty big coyote. The yote didn't want to have anything to do with me or the dog and I rolled him with load of 5's as his ran the other way.

So what have you ran into?

A porcupine. But my dog is rock hard on point and I just pulled him off point, no damage done.

We have had run ins with skunks, porkies, etc. but the most memorable was a run-in with a wolf. I was walking my 2 shorthairs when the younger dog (about 5 mos) took off around a bend in the trail. I assumed it was a deer but found Ben chasing the wolf across the trail. I think Ben just wanted to play with her assuming it was another dog. By the time I made it around the bend the wolf had squared off with him, nose to nose with hair raised and teeth gnashing. By this time, my older dog saw what was going on and went ballistic. Luckily I had the shock collars on and was able to call them back. In our area there are usually 12-20 dogs lost every year to wolves. Almost exclusively bear dogs but very rarely a bird dog is lost. We were lucky the encounter didn't end in tragedy.

Nothing out of the ordinary...skunks, opossums, raccoons, rabbits, and cats. Once in Kansas I did run into a badger but luckily I got the dog out of there. I think the dogs that are retrieving the armadillos is hilarious. I'd like to have my camera handy if that ever happened.

Scott

what has my dog tangled with

My dog seems to have developed a taste for porqupines I have shot 4 last year and 2 the year the before.

Back