what does a non resident need to be legal

Hey guys I have a quick question I fear calling a Iowa hunting store or DNR I have had bad luck with correct response etc. Any way I hunted spring turkey there in Iowa this season & have a valid hunting license & all that but my question is do I also have to buy a pheasant hunting stamp or license on top of my iowa hunting license ??? Or can I just go hunt Iowa pheasant as is???

U guys stay open till Jan 10 we close in MN Jan 1 so Id like to give Iowa a try then... Thanks for any help or info guys...

P.s. how birds been treating u guys up in NC NW iowa on the public lands don't need names of spots or towns general is fine lol

In order for a non-resident to hunt spring turkeys in Iowa you would of had to buy a Hunting License, pay the Wildlife Habitat Fee and have a valid Turkey License.

Deer and Turkey Hunters - Residents and
nonresidents who hunt deer or wild turkey must
have a valid resident or nonresident Deer or Wild
Turkey License on their person while hunting.
Residents must also have a valid resident Hunting
License and have paid the Habitat Fee if normally
required to have them to hunt. All nonresidents
must have a valid nonresident Hunting License
and have paid the Habitat Fee.

Thus, assuming you purchased all the proper licenses in the spring, it would appear you already have the necessary license to hunt pheasants. However, to be on the safe side I would give the Iowa DNR a quick call. I don't quite understand your hesitancy to call them. Seems like a fairly straight forward question.

In order for a non-resident to hunt spring turkeys in Iowa you would of had to buy a Hunting License, pay the Wildlife Habitat Fee and have a valid Turkey License.

Thus, assuming you purchased all the proper licenses in the spring, it would appear you already have the necessary license to hunt pheasants. However, to be on the safe side I would give the Iowa DNR a quick call. I don't quite understand your hesitancy to call them. Seems like a fairly straight forward question.

I had same simple question about buying a non resident spring turkey license this past spring was a joke called 2 different people got 2 answers. Called a outdoor store got a I don't know last call was to another outdoor store guy said I'm pretty sure Ive sold non resident turkey license b4 anyway I had to buy a Iowa hunting license just to have option to buy a leftover turkey tag nobody at the Iowa DNR I called could help me with that simple info so I figured I'd ask u guys & save some calls back to Iowa DNR not much help last April...

Yes zeb I have all the legal license to turkey hunt in Iowa was over 200$ for 1 turkey so I'd like to go back down & bag a few pheasants to make that license fee not seem so steep... Plus I seen huns down wear I gonna pheasant hunt I'd like a hun for the wall...

Thanks zeb

You need the regular small game hunting license and a habitat stamp. That's it.

The tags can be added if you want to hunt deer, turkey etc.

Thanks guys I'm good to go license wise it seem I was just curious if I needed or there was a pheasant stamp etc. I needed to add guess not...

Got 1 buddy also with Iowa hunting license so I thinking we will head down together...

Plenty of birds left or slim pickings???

I've had a heck of a time all season getting anything to sit long enough for a point, this weather we've been having just might change things. North Central and Northwest Iowa should still have plenty of birds, question is will they sit still for you? Maybe...

Good luck, let us know how you do.. Would ya?

I've had a heck of a time all season getting anything to sit long enough for a point, this weather we've been having just might change things. North Central and Northwest Iowa should still have plenty of birds, question is will they sit still for you? Maybe...

Good luck, let us know how you do.. Would ya?

Will do. . I assume NW & NC IA was about same as sw MN. Was just wet all season birds had plenty of islands in cattails to hide in until just recently & the birds we could get to on dry land have seen every tom dick and harry chase em from same direction etc so they highly educated escape artist now...

Hoping this snow & cold will help them runners hold...

On Iowa WMA is there ever any food plots on the WMA or are they just crp trees & sloughs??? Just talking in general I've passed a few IA WMA all only grass or slough maybe tree breaks...

Really want a hun I've seen em up nc but they live spending time out in corn stubble most the day in my experience late season...

Thanks again for the help guys...

Hey SMO,

Just a week and a half ago I took a trip up that way, put a pretty long post in the Iowa forum thread "Hows everyone been doing?" post #16, 17 (if you already saw that, sorry). Was pretty fun, had better luck more NC than NW, granted this was just a few days. All public, and usually went all day to get shots at limits but fun. Most all the areas I hit between Emmetsburg and Mason city, from hwy 20 up to the MN border produced some birds, when I strayed west of that block didn't see much. Cattails were pretty consistent producers (but birds were pretty jumpy) and when the snow was blowing/piling up had my best luck in canary grass and such near food. Only a plot or two that I went to had and food plots though I had some of the best hunting of the trip around them. No huns seen, think the only ones I have seen were this summer along some roads near my house (corn and bean field edges). Good luck to ya, like to hear your reports.

-cjc

To clarify, quite a few of the public areas I normally hunt here in IA have food plots. Deer season was in swing so I didn't get to hunt some areas that looked pretty good (with food plots) due to hunter traffic. Sorry if that was confusing.

-cjc

To clarify, quite a few of the public areas I normally hunt here in IA have food plots. Deer season was in swing so I didn't get to hunt some areas that looked pretty good (with food plots) due to hunter traffic. Sorry if that was confusing.

-cjc

Thank u much for the great report... I sat out that cold cold week lol. I hope the weather stay decent like this WK few days in in January b4 the season close...

Cool happy to hear there is some food plots o. IA WMA... I will definitely do some research p
On the areas I plan to hit...

Is there a deer season still going on in January??? Like a muzzloader etc. Just curious sorry if I sou d lazy I can look all this up my self I know guess I just b/s n. Lol

No worries, you probably already looked it up, muzzle loader runs through the 10th. In my experience not close to the amount of pressure as during regular (shotgun) season. I certainly wouldn't have planned a trip for that weather and during shotgun season but, had days off from work so figured I better.

Will do. . I assume NW & NC IA was about same as sw MN. Was just wet all season birds had plenty of islands in cattails to hide in until just recently & the birds we could get to on dry land have seen every tom dick and harry chase em from same direction etc so they highly educated escape artist now...

Hoping this snow & cold will help them runners hold...

On Iowa WMA is there ever any food plots on the WMA or are they just crp trees & sloughs??? Just talking in general I've passed a few IA WMA all only grass or slough maybe tree breaks...

Really want a hun I've seen em up nc but they live spending time out in corn stubble most the day in my experience late season...

Thanks again for the help guys...

Google Earth is a great time saver. Most areas have some sort of food plot in place. Do the computer work first then the footwork. :thumbsup:

Google Earth is a great time saver. Most areas have some sort of food plot in place. Do the computer work first then the footwork. :thumbsup:

Yes sir have used google & most states have a map of there public land online u can view to see the land in aireal pics. But is there any info per WMA lime in MN SD & NE. Wear I've hunted had a spot online I could click on a individual WMA & get info on it like if food plots creek's etc. What game u most likely to find there etc.

Iowa only had that I seen this spring & a few WK ago a map showing all the WMA or crp lands etc. Gotta view each & look if plots on it I guess??? Or is there a time saver?

I usually only hunt WMA with food plots slough & trees on WMA all birds need on 1 spot etc.

Bummer muzzloader season still going I agree less guys still hate hunting with deer guys around never good idea for me... Thinking I mite just save the $$$ &
For my Nebraska trip in January...

Thanks guys for all the Info & help... I will let u know when & if I go been finding birds by my house this WK that surprised the hell outta me

Last edited:
Yep, this should help.

http://www.iowadnr.gov/Hunting/Places-to-Hunt-Shoot

Oh, don't be too concerned about the late muzzy season. It's tame compared to
1st and 2nd shotgun season. Seriously, no worries... :cheers:

Much appreciated quail man...

Been down to only my phone INTERNET lately so can't down load them WMA PDF for what ever reason? lol. I will definitely look at the WMA list by county & the WMA info b4 I head down...

This warm weather pretty much mean the cattails by me are way unsafe same type deal you think down in NC & NW Iowa cattail wise???

I suppose.

I don't have much for cattails around here so I really don't know what to tell you. Lots and lots of grass to stomp through in NC,NW Iowa if the cattail areas are a little on the soft side.

The nice thing about this time of year is most of the "pheasant hunters" hung up their chaps and gucci hunting coats and will be back next year. So you should have your pick of the hunting areas. Last weekend with the bitter cold, I doubt if anyone bothered the public areas, so, it is possible that some of the public ground has had a chance to "rest" for a while. Ya just never know if it is gonna be a bust or the best......Good luck in the Iowa wilds!

I suppose.

I don't have much for cattails around here so I really don't know what to tell you. Lots and lots of grass to stomp through in NC,NW Iowa if the cattail areas are a little on the soft side.

The nice thing about this time of year is most of the "pheasant hunters" hung up their chaps and gucci hunting coats and will be back next year. So you should have your pick of the hunting areas. Last weekend with the bitter cold, I doubt if anyone bothered the public areas, so, it is possible that some of the public ground has had a chance to "rest" for a while. Ya just never know if it is gonna be a bust or the best......Good luck in the Iowa wilds!

Yes that cold kept guys away & some areas did get rested up... Around my way these mid 30s-40s get guys out basically birds in best winter habitat now & guys blow threw that & next guy get 0 lol

Ive never had much luck crp walking since the birds took nose dive #s wise I love willows & cattails + shatter Cain come late season I see birds most days lol

I do wanna hit the grass for Hungarian partridge they not in the cats

Last edited:
Did the same thing about 8 years ago. Spring turkey and then went on a December day trip to NC IA.

We certainly saw birds and the two of us killed 3 roosters. I was seeing more birds in MN that fall and did not return.

There are WMAs with food plots and I did kill one on the edge of a small corn plot.

Did put up one wild bunch of huns (12+), but they flew a long ways and then landed out in the middle of a private field.

Back