What do you do if your dog comes in contact with other animals besides birds?

12gaugedust

The other day my dog went on point on a possum, the only thing i could do was call him off... But what happens if you meet a coyotee or some other kind of animal out in the field. Just kinda wondering if this happens alot?

Flusher not pointer for me.
Yep, happens a fair bit. Usually it's a coyote that we pin down in a patch of thick cover with no escape - usually, I don't even know it's there until I see it bust out of the end of the cover running like hell! I usually hear a racoon before I see it - makes an awful racket. I just call her off as soon as I know what's going on. She went after a porcupine once and gave me enough time to react with the collar - gave her a pretty good nick to let her know that those animals HURT. Knock on wood - haven't had to deal with a skunk yet (but I have a 'kit' of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dishsoap and a couple of big ziplocks to mix it up in if needed). Owls once in a while in goldenrod fields where they're hunting mice - never a problem. Barn cats - I call her off. Rabbits (snowshoe hare) - I call her off and/or shoot them. Deer - she doesn't chase them - I just watch them go and/or think about getting a slug out of my vest if I've got a tag and I'm in the right area.

1.Pray that it's not a skunk.
2. Hope that I put the electronic collor on the dog whether I expect to use it or not.
3. Hopefully after separation I can kill it if it is one of those critters I do not like. Usually coon, skunk or porkie.
The Puds are fur killers. Coyotes are the least of my problem but they will kill them too.

I hunt with flushers but I call my dogs off anything with fur. I spent too much time with my first one following long trails expecting to see a covey rise only to see a jackrabbit take off in the distance. If I hunted rabbits I wouldn't discourage it but I don;t want my dogs chasing anything but feathers. That's helped keep them out of range of skunks and porkies as well.

I usually laugh if it isn't a skunk.

What are you going to do? There's all sorts of things in the wild that your dogs are going to find. After all they're hunting!

My Braque got after a coyote yesterday and chased him for a good half mile. Beautiful coyote too. Big blond sucker. Dog decided coyote was too fast and busted ass back to me and we kept going.

Had a dog get into a fight with a coyote in a cattail slough . I can still see it they were both on theyre hind legs biting at each others necks, making more noise than anything I called skooby off, an 80lb. bengy type mutt. who kind of looked like a coyote himself and they seperated with the yote bolting to my right. I fired 5 rounds 12 ga 5's but he managed to make it over the hill with a butt full of bb's. never seen him again:thumbsup:

Was the dog okay? Thats what im worried about, my boy has alot of fire in him and him being a brittany they rnt made for that kinda stuff. Tough, but not a fighter.

For me it depends on what dog is down. Pointer or setter more than likely will call off. With the griffon more often than not the fur will be dispatched either by me or her. Coyotes it doesn't matter. They get the lead. With the griff, she has a thing for skunks :( which means there is always a large supply of deodorizer components on hand.

Flusher not pointer for me.
Yep, happens a fair bit. Usually it's a coyote that we pin down in a patch of thick cover with no escape - usually, I don't even know it's there until I see it bust out of the end of the cover running like hell! I usually hear a racoon before I see it - makes an awful racket. I just call her off as soon as I know what's going on. She went after a porcupine once and gave me enough time to react with the collar - gave her a pretty good nick to let her know that those animals HURT. Knock on wood - haven't had to deal with a skunk yet (but I have a 'kit' of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dishsoap and a couple of big ziplocks to mix it up in if needed). Owls once in a while in goldenrod fields where they're hunting mice - never a problem. Barn cats - I call her off. Rabbits (snowshoe hare) - I call her off and/or shoot them. Deer - she doesn't chase them - I just watch them go and/or think about getting a slug out of my vest if I've got a tag and I'm in the right area.

as for the skunk encounter, if it happens, i also carry some thin,cheap rubber gloves and a cheap set of oversize,disposable painters coveralls (about $7)...those 2 items will keep the skunk scent of you while you are sudsing down your pup and cleaning her/him up.:thumbsup:

sigh....

I commend your attention to the "Young Bert" stories I posted here. :) GWP with his own agenda at times. Funny now, but aggravating as all get out then.

Mick, the Springer got into it with a younger raccoon this year, but I could pull him off

My first GWP, over the course of two days, brought me three oppossum--two alive, one dispatched--while I was out doing yard work. She must have found a possum convention. It started to lose its charm.

:D

Back