What California does

quail hound

I know my state gets a bad wrap but next time you sit down for dinner think about this. This is just a sample of what goes on here and doesn't even mention our huge beef, dairy, poultry, cotton, hay, rice, oil/natural gas, and timber industries. What's going on with our drought will have a very big impact on our country if it continues.

Last edited:
I admit with it's weather and growing season, as an advantage, California has become the king of agriculture, especially specialty crops. It is uses a vast amount of it's production internally, imports it's water, and has an inordinate amount of federal aid or farm subsidies to aid it. The figures are skewed, in that a lot of specialty crops, berries, apples, etc. are imported to the U.S. most through California ports, from Chile, and other destinations. While internal production might be 90+% of U.S. production, it is probably less than a small fraction of trade of these agricultural products used in the U.S. Believe it or not, outside the golden west, we can raise apples, carrots, etc. but without the subsidies for California commercial agriculture, we can not do it and compete market price wise. But need and demand are met with rapid free market response, both internally and import wise. I admit California can raise anything.....with water, but not at a real world cost. We are all sad to see it continue. just like the dust bowl days, the entire country will have to deal with this situation. Over use of the environment, addressing to many people, orchestrating demand on the natural resource. Last time relocation, and national grasslands reduced the demand. I will also say the Great Plains have never recovered. Maybe we can start in California at the Salton Sea? The 100 year cycle is predictedly drier climate out west, reverting to the previous hundred year cycle, making life more difficult and trying from the high plains on west. California is the currently the pressure point, soon Arizona, New Mexico, Texas Panhandle, Kansas and Colorado high plains all have drastic water issues. In all things political, we will wait to address this till the barn in on fire and we are in the fight of our lives.

As far as importing water, the IV is the only area that gets water from a source outside of our border. The rest of the state depends on water from the Sierra Nevada and when there's no surface water our ground water is taxed and over drafted at alarming rates. The farm subsidies, well I don't know enough on that to comment but by and large cotton farmers are propped up the most against foreign competition. I hope CA comes up with some solutions soon so we can balance a thriving ag economy and a healthy ecosystem.

Here's some internet news, if I can send, and I am notorious about that! basically I searched "Importing Water to California" on google. Seems like cities in California, L.A. and San Diego are importing water like 84% and above. California water is being dispersed around the country and the world by selling their ag products, hay in milk cow, apples, etc. You make a choice, less people, or the crumbling of agriculture if things stay the same.

Back