What Bothers Me Most.....

Toad and Bknight...excellent stories!

It truly is going to be a tough one this fall. I took a brief scouting trip to my one of my favorite areas last week. I've been fortunate enough to scout this area at very close to the same time each year so I have somewhat of a benchmark for comparison.

The route(s) were run at prime time for seeing birds. Unfortunately I saw only about 1/3 of the adult birds that I normally do. Of those, I saw a normal ratio of hens to roosters, but only two of the hens had chicks. There were only two chicks with each hen. One pair was only about two weeks old, the other was about normal size for this time of year. I saw far too many hens for them to be on the nest.

It simply looks very tough for the dogs this year (and us).

Point!

Fellas, great stories. Read all to my little man (he is 9) He said dad Grampy is 76 this year Boss (his new pup) is going to be 6 months when we go to Kansas. Lets just try to hunt hard and make Grampy proud. Kinda brought a tear to my eyes thinking all the dogs my dad had and reading all your posts and thinking all my little guy wants is to make his Grampy proud. I have had 1 awesome dog in my life always wanting to have a better one and it takes a kid to make me relize that he just wants to have a dog to go with. Bub and Boss will be riding shotgun in my truck, all other riders will be in the back seat unless they bring their dogs then the humans will be in the bed, dogs get the comfort. Bub told me the dog has to do all the work all we have to do is walk without falling down. Took a kid to put things in check for me at 39. I think I will just enjoy Grampy , Boss and Bub this year and start thinking about getting me a plain jane stay in the house at night go to work with me in the morning dog next year.
GOOD LUCK to everyone this season. Maybe look at this year like you are 9 again. Be proud of your dog. It only has to please one person and that is the one feeding it.

Fellas, great stories. Read all to my little man (he is 9) He said dad Grampy is 76 this year Boss (his new pup) is going to be 6 months when we go to Kansas. Lets just try to hunt hard and make Grampy proud. Kinda brought a tear to my eyes thinking all the dogs my dad had and reading all your posts and thinking all my little guy wants is to make his Grampy proud. I have had 1 awesome dog in my life always wanting to have a better one and it takes a kid to make me relize that he just wants to have a dog to go with. Bub and Boss will be riding shotgun in my truck, all other riders will be in the back seat unless they bring their dogs then the humans will be in the bed, dogs get the comfort. Bub told me the dog has to do all the work all we have to do is walk without falling down. Took a kid to put things in check for me at 39. I think I will just enjoy Grampy , Boss and Bub this year and start thinking about getting me a plain jane stay in the house at night go to work with me in the morning dog next year.
GOOD LUCK to everyone this season. Maybe look at this year like you are 9 again. Be proud of your dog. It only has to please one person and that is the one feeding it.

Good stuff turtle!

Nice story. In some of the places I like to hunt, walking without falling down is harder than it sounds. Best thing to do is just fall down gracefully and go with it so you can pop right back up... Just something to remember when the walking gets tough...

I bet Grampy is already proud.:thumbsup:

Back