What are your 2008 habitat projects?

UGUIDE

This is the time of year to be planning for 2008 habitat projects. What projects have you got up your sleeve?

On an 80 in WI I chainsawed down over 100 mature popple/aspen trees. Purpose: Release mature competing Oaks and also sucker new aspen for better grouse, turkey, deer habitat. This is probably the cheapest, easiest habitat improvement practice I have yet done (whack down mature trees with chainsaw). I leave them lay to give instance ground, nesting, bedding and feeding cover (late winter deer just love the buds from the fallen tree tops).

In SD next to my farm I have talked my neighbors, whom I let deer hunt on my ground, into doing the same practice on their mature cottonwoods. We'll probably drop 100 trees and they have ground right next to refuge so we will imporve pheasant and deer habitat. New trees will sucker and grow from sun hitting old seed in ground.

On my farm I'll add 3.3 acres of CRP this spring and another 20-40 next spring. I do 30 acres of sorghum food plots annually and leave these standing until about this time of year.

Back