What are those things!?

JO BO

Okay, So I'm not a bird man and need help identifying one.

I was watching a group of pheasants by some low marsh habitat in

Southwest North Dakota and in amongst them were 3 birds that were the same

size as the pheasant hens with similar colors on the backside, but they had

yellow breasts/front with a pronounced orange spot on their bellies.

Maybe they are migrating birds or? Just never saw them before. There also

was a very large pure black Hawk circling 1/4 mile further down the road.

Didn't know what he was either. books are for the birds is what I may

need.

Thanks if you may know/give the answer to the vague description.

google dark phase red tailed hawk. As for the other bird, no idea. Need more information I guess.

Hi; Thanks for the clue to dark phase red tailed hawk. I have seen several red tailed hawks around the area for years but this guy was super dark phase, as I believe you are correct on identification,
I've been doing a lot of goggle searching and just can't find the other bird anywhere. Will keep at it. Thanks

Possibly some Morph of a cross breeding or possibly offspring of pen raised birds with genetic traits showing. Many of the small town wildlife clubs out there release pen raised birds.

Hi; Thanks for the responses. I was fortunate to get a very close look at 2 of them this afternoon and they are indeed pheasant hens after all.

I have never seen the coloration of these birds before or anything even close. They have solid yellow breasts with that bulls eye orange spot low on their belly.
I saw 2 of the 3 I had seen before. There are no pen released birds in this area. No clubs etc.

I wish I had he fancy camera equipment to catch a photo for you all. I know you would find them entertaining.
Some genetic/morph thing going on out there in that field. Lots of beautiful roosters of normal color with them and normal colored hens as well.

Hi; In the Southwest corner of the state.
I am hoping to get a friend of mine who is camera heavy to go out and see if he can capture them on film. I hope so.

Back