What Are The "Must Have" Items Of Upland Hunting

As a new hunter I am pretty sure I've got the basics down when it comes to equipment, but I really wanted to make sure i wasn't missing out on anything. This could also serve as a decent thread for other new hunters, so they can find all the necessary info concerning upland hunting very quickly. I won't post on this topic until later on when i finally have the experience to weigh in on this subject with a semi-educated opinion, But the more info we have on this topic the better/ easier it will be for new hunters to find it all in one place and get them into the field as quick and prepared as possibe.

Thanks in advance and good hunting,
-Blazin' Gun Retrievers-​

Good pair of boots, orange clothing, good vest, gloves,water bottles,as said in the grooming post stuff to remove burrs on the dog. and med kit for you and the dog, Rain gear, maps and platt book for the area.

Shot gun shells might be good too :)

Game Shears and plastic gloves are good to have for cleaning birds along with zip locks and a cooler.

I also use some sort of shooting/ sunglasses.
________
SI6 engine

Last edited:
All of the above and If it is legal in your state a set of Walkie-Talkies. A lot of time the guys I'm hunting with. We seperate to cover more ground and give our dogs a real chance to work. We use the radios to keep in touch or if somebody needs help. In 2005 I stepped in badger hole and ripped my left leg. I called my son on the radio and he came and got me in the pickup and took me back to camp. I spent the next 2 months in bed healing. So they can be very useful.....Bob

i always load up my vest the night before. with some water snacks for both me and the dog, the nature valley peanut butter is some tastey stuff. always make sure i have everything i need for the dog just in case. if its snowing or wet i always bring a set of extra boots and plenty of socks

If it is rainy and wet. I carry a big bath towel for Tony. Before I put him in his travel crate, I towel him down good. He loves it and I feel it may help to hold down colds and other diseases that could arise from being put away wet.

Writing this I thought of something, crate/cage train your dog. In the home it makes a safe haven for them, most dogs love them. Tony sleeps in his at night. In the day time, I leave the gate open and he goes in for a nap once in a while. When riding in the car or pick-up, have them crate trained there also. It has never happened to me, but I know people, they hit the brakes to hard or get in an accident. The dog ends up getting some serious injuries.

Get yourself some 32 ounce Karo Syrup bottles, put a squirt top from a dish soap bottle. Soak that squirt top well and wash it real good to get the soap out. The dog will learn to drink when you squirt the water in its' mouth. I have never been able to find a small enough bowl to fit in my vest, but if you find one you can go that route too........Bob

Last edited:
Upland Accoutrements

As a new hunter I am pretty sure I've got the basics down when it comes to equipment, but I really wanted to make sure i wasn't missing out on anything. This could also serve as a decent thread for other new hunters, so they can find all the necessary info concerning upland hunting very quickly. I won't post on this topic until later on when i finally have the experience to weigh in on this subject with a semi-educated opinion, But the more info we have on this topic the better/ easier it will be for new hunters to find it all in one place and get them into the field as quick and prepared as possibe.

Thanks in advance and good hunting,
-Blazin' Gun Retrievers-​

Clothing: 1. Field pants, light weight and plenty loose. 2. Vest w/game bag and pockets for shells (Filson is best imo). 3. Blaze orange cap or hat. 4. Damn good boots. 5. Field jacket (for cooler/cold weather) with built in game bag. 6. Cold weather cloth gloves. 7. Long underwear. 8. Eye protection (shooting glasses, sunglasses).

Rain/Wet Gear: Gortex (or similar) lined field pants.

Ammo: Nos. 4,5 or 6 shotshells for pheasant; 6 or 7.5 for partridge and grouse; 7.5 or 8 for quail.

Misc.: Game shears for bird cleaning.

Last edited:
Back