What are the Best training birds?

jcfd129

When training newer dogs, what are the best birds to hunt over? ( quail, phez, chukar)? just curious. We have been using chukar mostly just wanted to see what everyone else was using! thanks ~~MATT

I would start out with a strong flying bird like a pigeon, as your dog gets more steady train with whatever it is you hunt.

If you have a place to keep them, namely a bird house with a "get back-in door." Then I say Quail or Homing Pigeons. When you leave the quail out for training. Only leave out a few, the ones left in the house, will call the others back to them. I prefer the quail they are a true Game Bird---Bob

My choice would be chucker but use alot of pigeons because there cheap.

Bobwhites, cause they wont run off and are fairly cheap.

I would have to agree, if you can find some that are very well flight conditioned. A dog catching birds will only set you back in your training.

I like to use wild pigeons best for young dogs. One reason is that they aren't what I hunt and, if I make a mistake training on pigeons, there is a good chance that the results won't carry over to wild birds as strongly as if I were using pen reared game birds. Beyond that, they are cheap, sturdy, and fairly easy to hit. They also have a fairly strong scent which helps slam down those beginners.

birds

I like chukars myself! They better and r more coast effective then pheasants. pen raised quail hold well but dont fly worth a pinch, especialy in the heat.

Depends on the size of the dog to some extent. If you're training a smaller size pointer then I agree with using inexpensive pigeons/quail. But be careful when shooting over your dog with quail; it can be dangerous since they tend to fly low. With a large dog like my Chessie pup, I have to use Chukkar or Pheasant because they fly higher and he is still aggressive with holding the birds and will usually damage the quails.

Back