Western ND Hunt

k9healthclub

This was footage taken from our 3 day hunt near Belfield almost 2 weeks ago. Still learning the GoPro editing. https://youtu.be/DyW6WalnM04

We did fairly well each day despite some real windy conditions. Some guys got their limit of pheasants but never quite reached a full limit each day.

Got in a nice mix of huns and sharpies to round out the days over there.

Thanks! This was footage from the 3 days we were out there hunting. The wind was so bad the day we arrived and the next day. I didn't really want to be messing around with the GoPro so I could just stay concealed from exposing skin to the wind. I didn't include sound since you just hear the wind blowing over the mic.

The 3 day hunt on the eastern part of this state this past weekend was colder which means tougher on the battery life. It won't be as action packed as this one.

This is my first time using the GoPro editing software which makes the resolution look awesome but the transfer to YouTube really sucks on the quality. Maybe I did something wrong too.

Got some nice snow cover now and wanting to be out today to see the fresh bird tracks. Anyone else have that same itch? I'd go but the dog is still recovering. She is a petite lab to begin with but looks like an Ethiopian after 6 or 7 days of hunting in the course of 11 days. Have been feeding her extra but won't eat anymore. Might be getting more table scraps.

She is a petite lab to begin with but looks like an Ethiopian after 6 or 7 days of hunting in the course of 11 days. Have been feeding her extra but won't eat anymore. Might be getting more table scraps.

There's something about Labs and losing interest in eating after being hunted hard that seems to be a common issue for all the Lab owners I know including myself. In the past a Purina rep we ran into in Idaho suggested putting some dry cat food in with my friend's Lab's kibble and that helped. He said there's more garlic in cat food and that makes their dog food more attractive to the dog. This year I thought I had the solution when I bought a bag of McDonalds french fries and would break just one up per feeding to put in her food. That worked pretty good but by the end of the trip she wouldn't eat anymore like before. Even only hunting her for an hour a day she shuts down like a battery being depleted. I've yet to find a real answer.

There's something about Labs and losing interest in eating after being hunted hard that seems to be a common issue for all the Lab owners I know including myself

I would try changing your morning routine. My ECS didn't want to eat consistently in early years. But regardless of my training style, I think routine is everything for the dogs at home...they are waiting in their kennels when we're getting dressed for work...they know our schedule even. IMO you should let the dog out right away to relieve themself then let them in and feed. Only after feeding do you get hunting gear ready...not when you wake up and not the night before. Only after feeding you get gear ready. New routine might be the trick, maybe not. I also know that my dog started looking at me like, "this stuff again"? And if we tried out a new flavor of same branded food he ate like he hadn't in days. Maybe keep switching out flavors of food along with a routine changup...I gotta think those combined would work.

Also, about feeding right away in the morning...helps so they have digested food by time hitting field. Just like human athletes shouldn't eat right before heavy activity...the nutrition hasn't gotten into the system yet. I'll be heading out this weekend, just wondering how much if any snow will be left out here...temps close to 50 today/tomorrow and 45's through the weekend.

Labs & Food

I always feed my labs early in the morning and then again after the hunt is over for the day. I've found that if I mix a half of can of wet dog food in with their regular dry food that the scarf it right up. It's a treat for them and keeps them eating. I also keep my dogs in the dog trailer when they are not hunting as it forces them to rest more.

Neil, love the video!
I used to guide at a game farm and ran my dogs multiple days a week on hunts. They always got skinny but one thing I learned was once I put them in the kennel for the ride home I would always put food in with them. Usually something soft and different than their regular hard food. Most of the time they turned their nose up to it but by the time I got home, about and hour and a half drive, the food was always gone! Give them time they will eat it. The key is to get it in them as soon as possible after you are done hunting for the day. That is the only way to replenish their muscle mass and body weight.

Thanks! This was footage from the 3 days we were out there hunting. The wind was so bad the day we arrived and the next day. I didn't really want to be messing around with the GoPro so I could just stay concealed from exposing skin to the wind. I didn't include sound since you just hear the wind blowing over the mic.

The 3 day hunt on the eastern part of this state this past weekend was colder which means tougher on the battery life. It won't be as action packed as this one.

This is my first time using the GoPro editing software which makes the resolution look awesome but the transfer to YouTube really sucks on the quality. Maybe I did something wrong too.

Got some nice snow cover now and wanting to be out today to see the fresh bird tracks. Anyone else have that same itch? I'd go but the dog is still recovering. She is a petite lab to begin with but looks like an Ethiopian after 6 or 7 days of hunting in the course of 11 days. Have been feeding her extra but won't eat anymore. Might be getting more table scraps.

All good ideas about the feeding most of which I already do. I have to be more careful than a lot of guys because Morgan rides in the cab and sleeps in my sleeping bag. I don't have room for a dog box in the back of my short bed truck with a cab high camper shell. Plus, she's so warm when it's freezing!!!
I treat her like my partner and not like my tool and she doesn't eat the hamburgers I leave on the dash when I go into the store. It's an unspoken agreement on her part but still in full force and effect. Giving her something too different that will upset her stomach, give her gas or make her need to go take a dump in the middle of the night means more work and discomfort for me. One french fry is OK but wet food, to be honest, I don't think she'll eat. We've tried it on her in the past and she wouldn't touch it I guess because she's so used to kibble.

The key is to get it in them as soon as possible after you are done hunting for the day. That is the only way to replenish their muscle mass and body weight.

I have always read, been told and practiced that you should not feed your dog immediately after strenuous exercise. The thinking is that it could cause a twisted gut and bloat. I have always waited at least a half hour before feeding, giving the dog time to cool down and relax. I have a difficult time believing that "feeding as soon as possible after hunting" is the only way to replenish muscle mass and body weight. I've never had a problem with either even when feeding a hour or two after shutting the dog down.

Do a web search about this and almost 100% will recommend waiting for the dog to relax and cool down before feeding.

I have always read, been told and practiced that you should not feed your dog immediately after strenuous exercise. The thinking is that it could cause a twisted gut and bloat. I have always waited at least a half hour before feeding, giving the dog time to cool down and relax. I have a difficult time believing that "feeding as soon as possible after hunting" is the only way to replenish muscle mass and body weight. I've never had a problem with either even when feeding a hour or two after shutting the dog down.

Do a web search about this and almost 100% will recommend waiting for the dog to relax and cool down before feeding.

Agree :thumbsup:

Very light breakfast (handful of dog food) or some biscuits when we all wake up.

Small high protein biscuit here and there during the day (especially if you are rotating dogs) and then a couple biscuits after the last hunt of the day.

Dinner a couple hours later. I have no problem supplementing with high fat content hamburger or even pouring some hamburger grease (not excessive though) over their dry dog food if we are on a multi-day hunt.

Offer water through out the hunt.

I have been known to buy McD hamburgers (no pickles or onions) and give each dog a burger (with bottom half of bun) after we are done for the day.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know what you guy are talking about. I'm on my 5th lab and never have had them not eat all their food, hunting or at home. I totally agree with waiting at least half an hour after hunting is done or strenuous activity to feed them.

I've hunted with guys who have pointers, and have seen them barely eat after a hard days hunt. I do bring peanut butter cookies (store bought) to give them now and again during the hunt. And of course water. There are liquid supplements you can mix with water to give them during the hunt. I've heard good/not worth it on that.

Feed hi quality dog food, it costs more, I feed Acana Wild Prairie, 33% protein. 1/4 cup more or less than my usual feeding makes a difference in their weight.

I swear my labs would eat the paint off my truck if it had any taste!

Dan

Dakota Zeb, I agree with waiting 1/2 an hour or so before feeding. Usually by the time I was done working with clients, cleaning bagging birds, etc. The I tended to the dogs before the ride home. They still just looked at the food when I put it in the kennel but like I said when we got home after an hour and a half ride the food was gone. Then I fed them their regular dry high quality dog food for dinner. Dogs react differently to food. Most of my Golden Retrievers because they are high energy golden's don't overeat. If given good food they can many times be free fed and they will only eat what they need. But that is my dogs, other react differently. My suggestion is try different things until you are successful with your dogs and what they like! Hopefully they guy who started this thread has gotten some useful info of different things to try. I will agree the hardest time I have with my dogs is when they are hunting hard in the Dakota's for a week. By the end of the week I will be happy just to get them to eat anything!

Back