West vrs southwest Kansas

blackdog

I have hunted your fine state of Kansas for about the past 10 years now. Mostly in the north central region. My favorite spot is in Mitchell Co.. I have always heard that western Ks was the best upland ground. I have hunted out as far out as Wakeeny and had a little sucess out there years ago. This year for the first time we went south and stayed in Larned. Hunted WIHA for 21/2 days with little success. Conditions were dry and I believe the birds to have been scattered out because I don't think they had any harsh weather yet. Is wakeeny far enough west? Is Larned far enough Southwest? Or have I just not gone far enough yet to really get into birds. I Have Seven great dogs, Would love for them to finish out the season next weekend with a few more birds under their nose. Thanks for having us! Any advice would be great.

Wakeeney is definitely far enough west. I've never hunted around Larned. I have hunted between Claflin and Great Bend. It was only one weekend, but we hunted private land with locals and didn't see many birds. Obviously, many things can determine the amount of birds you see but I would imagine there are birds around both Wakeeney and Larned. Good luck to you next weekend.

Whichever way you decide to travel, I wouldn't recommend going to NC KS for sure. They had 5-foot drifts out there last weekend, and we're getting another 6-8 inches of the white stuff tonight.

As Nick stated, Wakeeny is plenty far West. Gove Co Britts lives about an hour West of there, and for a fist full of Benjamins, and a case or so of beer, he might be able to steer you in the right direction. :D Just kidding of course. :thumbsup:

I have hunted your fine state of Kansas for about the past 10 years now. Mostly in the north central region. My favorite spot is in Mitchell Co.. I have always heard that western Ks was the best upland ground. I have hunted out as far out as Wakeeny and had a little sucess out there years ago. This year for the first time we went south and stayed in Larned. Hunted WIHA for 21/2 days with little success. Conditions were dry and I believe the birds to have been scattered out because I don't think they had any harsh weather yet. Is wakeeny far enough west? Is Larned far enough Southwest? Or have I just not gone far enough yet to really get into birds. I Have Seven great dogs, Would love for them to finish out the season next weekend with a few more birds under their nose. Thanks for having us! Any advice would be great.

I do not consider Larned Soutwest Kansas. I've heard good things about Garden and Dodge City, I would consider these areas Southwest Kansas. Not sure about Wakeeny, although I believe it's far enough West to hold good #'s of birds. I have heard good things around Scott City this year.

Thanks everyone. I'm headed over the last Thursday - Monday. I've had my eye on Scott City, and had a few good reports about Garden City. It won't matter were I end up. My dogs and I will have great time regardless. It's all about them anyway! Don't believe me?? Just ask them, they will tell ya!

There are a lot of birds around Dighton which isn't to far. east of Scott City. From the guys I have talked to and what I have seen, from about 283 west and I70 south has been the best hunting.

Last edited:
Thanks for tip! I'll be out there for 4 or 5 days to end the season. I'll give it a shot. Can't wait. It's snowing pretty good this evening in Mo. Maybe they'll bunch up for me!

Back