West of Missouri River

Hope things are good in SD, we have had several days in 100's here in AR, but I think y'all have endured some of the same.

Starting to think about the hunt this year, looking at the calendar, studying maps, etc. and that at least makes me think it is cooler. Looking at hunting west of the Missouri this year to see what we might find. We hunted near Platte one year, near Gettysburg another and just think we want to try something different.

If I read the data correctly there are fewer pheasants in that area, but maybe more grouse. Got couple of questions - looks like there is plenty of public land, does most it have plenty of likely cover? I would assume there may be less farming that way, so what are the general food sources? How far west is too far?

One last - looks like towns get fewer and more far in between. Is there much lodging out that way, like Winner or Presho or other towns on interstate or would it be better to head on up to Pierre?

Thanks and looking forward to fall.

I can't answer all your questions but I can tell you that it is dry in South Dakota, I would expect that area to have short vegetation.

There are 7 hotels in Winner but they fill up fast. First three weeks are probably booked already. As far as Pheasants go from Chamberlain to Presho to Winner there are more pheasant then anywhere in the state. There is also good grouse and prairie chicken ground. Public ground would be the shortfall as there is not a lot of public ground in this area. There is some but not a enough for all the hunting pressure.

We are not heading that way till December, so hopefully it will not be quite as crowded. Was hoping to avoid a few people by heading west. Thanks for the info.

Hutch's Motel is in Presho.Several in Murdo,another 28miles West that are priced right that time of year.The Buffalo Trails and Super 8 in Winner really suck.

Thanks ranchodeluxe, that is the kind of info I look for. Read one of your other posts, would like to fish that tailrace, sounds like fun, but it is a long way from Arkansas. What are the primary species caught there? I fish tailraces here for catfish, stripers, etc.

How about a grouse/chicken hunt - would an early Oct hunt be good in the area west of river? Also wanting to do some deer scouting. Thanks again for the info.

Walleye is our main quarry but it's loaded with Northern Pike,Channel Cat,Smallmouth, Rainbow and Chinook Salmon.Bring your jigs and Rapalas and you have it mostly covered.
Sharptail are very common West River but in Oct. they are widely dispersed.I see more as they bunch up later in fall.

I dont like that reply, you have given me too many options. All I was thinking about before was bird hunting, but really like to fish as well. Maybe I just need to make a couple of trips.

That's the beauty of Fez season,you need something to do until either 10 or 12 depending on time of year.Ya catch a limit,clean 'em at the station that's right in your campground,then head to the pheasant field.

It's dry but I'm seeing birds

Yes, SD has endured some hot dry stuff here recently but Im a position to give a good field report. I work on a LARGE farm in Corson County, and I'm seeing birds on a regular basis. I see broods of average size to numbering 10 or so. The grouse are certainly going well, and the partridge are quite well too. I have been in the field everyday, 7 days a week cutting wheat for 3 weeks. The roosters have molted and are short tailed at present.
I don't have a lease presay but I would like to find some buddies with dogs to do some hunting. I have access to several thousnad acres that are keeped and wheat, oats, corn, sorghum, sunflowers and hays.
Good Luck,
SHANE

bshaneb73, i will bein your neck of the woods 1st week of NOV....i would like to hear what you have to offer....thanks

pm sent

Back