Well...............

gjw

Hey all, well..........looks like the tail end of the season will fair no better than the beginning. Was out yesterday for a couple hours, tough going. Snow depths did vary, but the "Thanksgiving" weekend storm sure did cover up some of the better cover around us. Cattail sloughs are getting filled up as are the road ditches, tree lines and CRP fields. We're supposed to get another 4" to 6" today and tonight (oh joy!). That will really make walking a bear. Slow going and tiring. A lot of the farmers around here are just going to leave their corn till spring now. So that's no help. I did manage to see a couple birds that flushed wild, but that was it. They're out there, just trying to find them is the trick....and if they will hold!

We'll still be going out, but will try and hit smaller cover. Looks like we'll be having a very white Christmas this year!

Anyway, good luck to all of you who still plan on going out!=.

Best,

Greg

Sounds tough for you this year. My wife and I managed some okay hunting just before the Thanksgiving storm, the cattails were tricky as we fell through several times and with the more snow you're getting they won't be any better. Be safe and hope you have a few days of decent weather to finish your season.

What part of ND are you guys located that have recieved so much snow? Have been trying to see how much snow is in the SC portion (south of Bismark/East of Missouri river), and have only seen a few inches here, a few inches there. PLanning on going out around Christmas, but might rethink it if everythings snowed in. Has definitely been a tough year

Bismarck got 5-6" last night, coupled with last weekend's 6-7", getting close to being real tough going out there.

Hi, I'm 14 miles south of Mandan. We got close to the same as Bismarck, maybe an inch less, but this last snow was light and powdery, so it's been drifting quite a bit. That's the big problem, you may get a few inches, but the drifting is what causes most of the problems. Your section lines and No Maintenance roads are pretty well shut down for the most part (around here at least). Can be hard if not impossible to get to the good cover. Now we have a cold snap, those wonder sub zero temps. Oh well, it is North Dakota!

If you do come out, best of luck to you!!!

Best,

Greg

Back