Weird situation on public land in MN

I guess I should clarify, if push came to shove, I’d naturally use my shotgun with bird shot first in a very close situation, but I can drop that sucker and be firing a lot more rounds if needed

Of course you'd use your shotgun first. That's what you're carrying. No sane person would throw aside a loaded 12 gauge for a pistol if you were looking for power. Its simple physics.

I think there should be a law requiring state approval for any new building adjacent to a WMA.

I have seen a few spots where there was some strange stuff going on creating a less than safe situation for me or my dogs. I move on. I would have left.

Regarding the subsequent conversation. Oh boy ...

I think there should be a law requiring state approval for any new building adjacent to a WMA.

I have seen a few spots where there was some strange stuff going on creating a less than safe situation for me or my dogs. I move on. I would have left.

Regarding the subsequent conversation. Oh boy ...
Reference the subsequent conversation, if you’d seen the stuff I’ve seen for the last three decades straight, carrying a handgun at all times, even when hunting, wouldn’t seem so unusual. This is a weird and evil world, and I’ve been right in the middle of it for longer than I’ve wanted.

You must be hunting those hidden gems along the crack and meth supply line. I have been hunting a half dozen states for say 40+ years.

I lived in Cedar Square and other parts of Mpls in the 80s. I have had two incidents where I have felt threatened. One in Mississippi and one in downtown Minneapolis ... near the now-gone Moby D's. Both were 30+ years ago and neither was associated with hunting.

Few bear encounters, but nothing too close to say I would have pulled my sidearm.

They are out there. The meth and opioid problems are everywhere. I assume TBL is a LEO and it must be tough separating work from life. I have a coworker who is also a 1st responder in a metro town of say 40K or so people. Not sure how he does not have PTSD.

Also too many shootings of people just walking up to someone's door or driving up one's driveway / approach ...

If you are rural and do not want visitors ... post the entry to your driveway and better yet ... own a big old' dog that loves to bite tires.

I’ve been a regular ole street cop for 11 years in St. Louis, and the last nearly 21 years in a city just north of Milwaukee. Evil, weird people are everywhere, in the cities, and in the rural areas. It doesn’t matter.

Of course you'd use your shotgun first. That's what you're carrying. No sane person would throw aside a loaded 12 gauge for a pistol if you were looking for power. Its simple physics.
That’s not the point, when you carry a sidearm daily it becomes a part of you… without it feels as strange as wearing boots with no socks.

We had a similar thing happen around 5 years ago. After talking to the local CO. It turned out the person recently purchased a house near the public land. Wasn’t much that could be done as walking his dogs on public land was allowed. I suspect the owner just didn’t want hunters around

I would disagree that there is nothing that can be done. MN and SD have hunter harassment laws that are taken seriously by COs in cases I've seen. The SD laws even have provisions for the offender paying for the cost of the trip, transportation and guide fees if you ruin their hunt. You can have someone removed from public land if the CO is convinced what they are doing is getting between you and the game or scaring away wildlife. You need to call early and often since it's common for the first caller to automatically be the harmed party and the CO would like to have a pattern of behavior if it comes down to a judgement call.

If you haven't done so, I would check what the restrictions are for Minnesota WMA land. Some state WMA lands do have restrictions, one of which includes dogs cannot be off leash unless engaged in hunting during an open hunting season. While it may then not be a issue handled by Conservation Officer/Warden, it may be able to be handled by the local Sheriff's Office as an ordinance violation if the uses are adopted as an ordinance.

As for the other part of this.....as a Sheriff's Deputy/SWAT/Trainer for 23 years and counting, I also carry aside from my hunting weapon of choice. Quick transition if ever needed.
Back to hunting topics!

why worry about carrying a concealed weapon. I often hunt with a 40 caliber Glock parked right on my hip as an advertisement that I don’t want trouble but nor will I back down from it. Granted, I often hunt in wolf country so I’ve become used to carrying it, but I figure it will work just fine on human wolves too.
You don't need that.You have a 12 guage.

I’ve been a regular ole street cop for 11 years in St. Louis, and the last nearly 21 years in a city just north of Milwaukee. Evil, weird people are everywhere, in the cities, and in the rural areas. It doesn’t matter.
That is true.Ive run into some weird hicks out in the sticks. They don't own the county road, or the right of way.They had better with there ps and qs.

We were hunting river bottom land of a friend's when there were 6 pickups/suburbs on the hill looking down at us. I told my buddy pay attention and keep your mouth shut as we had to walk by them to get back to our vehicles. My buddy says ef that I have a 12 gauge. I had to put him in his place with first off I have seen you shoot and you can't hit anything. But more importantly those guys are deer hunting and we are seriously outgunned.

Happened to me at a game farm! Crazy neighbor was screaming obseneties at us the whole time. Game farm Mgr tried to blow it off but I will never give them my business again and I had been going their for years.

You must be around Port W now, I'm another 20 miles north

That’s not the point, when you carry a sidearm daily it becomes a part of you… without it feels as strange as wearing boots with no socks.
Which is perfectly fine.

The point I'm making is that you don't drop a loaded shotgun for a handgun if there is an immediate incoming threat. "I think I'll trade my 12 gauge for a glock when an imminent threat approaches" said no one, ever.

Sounds like someone needs to inform the local warden of what is going on there. Sounds like it would be taken care of in 2 days.. first day warning him, second day taking to jail when he ignores the CO. People like that usually only learn they are in the wrong when they are dumping their possessions in a tub and getting fingerprinted

Back