Weekend report

nrhpilot

Just myself and my cousin from Houston started on Friday in Pawnee Co. We saw good bird numbers and came home with two roosters. The wind really kicked our butts. Couldn't even hear them flush and by the time we saw them they were going 50mph and out of range, but fun to see all the birds. Saturday we made our way to SW Kansas around the Fowler area. I wouldn't recommend that area. The Private land and our "honey holes" were OK, but the walk in was really pitiful. The crp was calf high and most of the milo was still in. Kicked up one rooster all day long in the walk in areas. Sunday we headed up to Marion reservoir and hunted some of the public land and some nearby walk in and had probably the best days hunt of the weekend. There was a good layer of frost and a very good number of pheasant and zero wind. There were 3 of us that day and we joined forces with another 3 that we just met at sunup. The dogs kicked up about half and half hens and roosters a total of 15 or so in the first field. Two of the roosters we shot the dogs nor us could find in the head high crp, which was dissappointing, but we came away with 3 more and that was just fine with us. It was a really great day to be out.

Thanks. Three of us are heading to Rush County in the morning. Unfortunately, we will be hunting walk-in only. Wished we had some private land! We usually dip down into Pawnee also. Hopefully we will see some birds somewhere. If not it's still fun to go out with my brother and dad.

You should do fine in Rush county. I was impressed with the number of roosters I saw there and I don't have any private land to hunt there. Have fun:thumbsup:

Back