Week to go!

WI ditch chicken

One week to go till the open! The only bad part is there will be a T-zone gun hunt around here too. Hope there isn't alot of clashesbetween the deer hunters and pheasant hunters. My buddy and I will be stacking our claim at around 11:30 after an early lunch/late breakfast. If all goes right we should be done by 12:30-1:00.

Good luck to all!
Scott

I will be in Browntown in a week and a half for a trial. Go out there and look for the 200 we useualy release at each trial.:thumbsup: Guys did that last weekend here at my trial and they were sure banging away having fun.

I'm going to ND this weekend. last year we didn't see much in WI the first week. Do you hunt near Waupaca? I sure didn't find much anywhere near here, the locals I talked to said no Phez here, have to drive a bit.

Last edited:
Can't wait. Seems to be some wild birds around and some woodcock also where I plan to spend opening day so I won't just be hunting for 1 bird. :)

I'm going to ND this weekend. last year we didn't see much in WI the first week. Do you hunt near Waupaca? I sure didn't find much anywhere near here, the locals I talked to said no Phez here, have to drive a bit.

We hunt in the White River wildlife area. Just south of Wautoma and Redgranite. In Green Lake and Marquette counties. Your right there isn't much for Pheasants around Waupaca. Every now and then you'll see one.

Scott

We hunt in the White River wildlife area. Just south of Wautoma and Redgranite. In Green Lake and Marquette counties. Your right there isn't much for Pheasants around Waupaca. Every now and then you'll see one.

Scott

I have gone down there a few times It's a nice area I just haven't figured it out. I ll be back at the end of the month to check it out. I could go to New London I suppose.

Muckwa in New London? Are they stocking pheasants there-I heard maybe not this year. What about Navarino, stocked there? How do you get to Grand River Marsh from the Appleton area, is it close to Berlin? Thx.

Muckwa in New London? Are they stocking pheasants there-I heard maybe not this year. What about Navarino, stocked there? How do you get to Grand River Marsh from the Appleton area, is it close to Berlin? Thx.

Further south. More like Montello Hwy 22 south, I think? I grew up in Appleton but the only way I've been down there is through Waupaca.

Good luck!
Scott

Opening day

How did everyone do?

Saw lots of hunters at White River. Lots of birds too. My buddy and i got 1 bird saw 1 other while hunting maybe a dozen or so before the season started driving the roads.

Will be going out again next weekend. Thinking about the Grand River Marsh, but more likely will be back at White.

Good luck!
Scott

Had to take the dog to the vet for his yearly check up and booster shots. Not able to hunt him until Wednesday. On a bad not he has lymes. We caught it before he was showing any signs so the vet is pretty sure there will be no lasting side affects. Thanks you lyme vaccine and Frontline. Way to do your job... Worse then a weather man.
Where are the pics WI ditch chicken???

I found the White River Marsh-just outside Berlin on County D about 5 miles. I got there at 12:05 Saturday for the opener [was duck hunting earlier in the morning and didn't leave until after 11am], pulled in the the 1st parking lot I saw with 4 other trucks in it, and 5 minutes later had a rooster. I then drove the roads to see the terrain-the place is huge-many dozens of other hunters, if not more-I think it took me an hour to drive around and I'm sure I didn't see all of it. There is some real nice looking cover there in spots. Thanks for the info. Now I know.

Got back from ND last night, went out to Milton got 2 birds, pretty hot out.
The setter is on the DL with a bad leg he got out west, but the Springer is in mid season form. I'll be hunting down here until next week when I go back to work in Waupaca.

IMAG0024.jpg

Last edited:
I can't believe that worked. To bad its not bigger. That was taken with a cellphone camera.

Back