Weatherby Orion 20

JMc

Super Moderator
Anybody have any information on a Weatherby Orion 20 gauge. I'm working a trade (imagine that) for one and although the shotgun is very nice, I thought I would ask the experts.

Not sure I'm a Spurt, but I have an Orion 20. I bought it in 97 on an unplanned stop at Shooter Supply after visiting the State Fair. Was looking for something lighter than my Winchester 101 in 12 gauge. I had looked at a Smith and Wesson 20 on the shelf with no blue or wood finish left when I noticed the Weatherby and 2 Browning Citori's leaning against the end of the counter. I asked Bob about those when he got off of the phone. He had just traded for them. When I asked about the Orion, he said he had sold it new to the gent 3 years earlier and he had just traded for a sporting clays model. I asked how much and the wife heard and said, "you've got plastic"! Now I can't be pushed, but I can be led:)

I didn't shoot it until I went to GW's about the second weekend of the season. He and Dick "had" to hunt the milo edge of the CRP, so I was relegated to the middle of the grass. Hawk didn't care. He hunted forward and pointed about 200 yards. Two roosters up, two roosters down. 50 yards further, another point. One rooster up, one rooster down. I score it 3 for Hawk, 3 for Troy, zippo for the guys on the edge of the milo. They busted a covey wild and a single made the mistake of getting a closer look at the Weatherby. 4/4. Followed the covey and made it 5/5 before missing my first bird dodging between limbs in a hedge row. I have not had 1 problem with it since 97! It carries nice, shoulders nice, and takes it's fair share of what I point it toward. If I could consistently point it at or in front of instead of toward, we'd all be happier, though done earlier.

I have had an Orion 20 for 30 years.

Have always heard SKB build them in Japan for Weatherby.

It is a very light weight and short gun. It is my go to ruffed grouse gun and many, many a grouse and woodcock have fallen to this gun.

I use it sparingly on the prairies for pheasants. Mainly because when I have that gun in hand I am conditioned to move the gun quickly ... often point and shoot. This works great in the grouse woods ... not always so good in open fields.

I do NOT baby this gun. It has held up amazingly well.

I also have one having picked it about 6-7 years ago I would guess. Have used it sparingly to be honest but has been a good gun. Light enough to carry all day and points nice for me. Thinking about moving it along since it sits now that I have my 16 GA Browning and that has quickly become my go to pheasant gun.

For years the Orion and Athena O/U guns sold by Weatherby we we made by SKB in Japan; two or three years ago Weatherby started having them built elsewhere.
Though I have no experience with the newer built guns I can attest to an excellent relationship with an SKB built Orion 20 bore. Never carried it to the home of wild pheasant but shot a great number of preserve birds with it, a LOT of Arkansas ducks, and some clays. With 28in barrels it carried well, swung well, and shot well regulated patterns.
I used it quite a bit for about three years and then sold it to help finance a European SXS I lusted after. They are fine guns IMHO.

Bob

Trade fell through...but thanks for the info.
Jim

If you are looking to add one to you collection let me know. Willing to part with mine for a fair price to someone that will get some use out of it.

Poor man's Benelli

Just bought a Franchi 720 for $400.00. Tried it out yesterday and it seems to handle real well. No problems I could find. Cycles shells perfectly and it is so light weight. Any pros or cons would be welcome. It was hard to load until I found out that it was more modern than what I am used to. Own a few old/older auto-loaders that load the conventional way. Any comments would be welcomed.

I like those Orion 20s, I've been raised to be untrusting of Japanese or Turkish et.al, built guns but it seems a lot of guys here have good luck and trust in them.

Where did you get a Franchi 720 for $400? I couldn't find any for under 600.

Last edited:
Back