Weatherby O/U's

Matt D

Anyone have any experience with the Orion or the Athena? Either SKB(Japan) or Fausti(Italy) production. Looking at a couple of these in a 20 gauge and just wondering what your thoughts are on them. If given a choice which of the two productions would you pick?

Thanks,

Matt D

I've been shooting an Orion since about 1997 and love it. Mine is a 20 and I have hunted pheasant, quail, prairie chicken, and ducks with it. I've never had a bit of problem with it, except when I don't point it where I need to. It carries smartly and points right where it should. Mine is the Japan model. I get it afield 25-40 days per year and bust a few trap with it on occasion.

My son has an Orion he has had for a number of years. He shoots it hard it is his Clay shooting gun. Trap and Skeet, he has had no trouble with it. I have some of the Fausti's but not Weatherbys. I love them they are very good guns, They are made in the same plant as Weatherby so I have read, they are comparable and right up there with Beretta, Browning and Ruger........Bob

I have had two Athena's and one Orion. They have been flawless. Mine have all been SKB made. My main go to Pheasant gun is my Athena. I shoot a Mark 5 rifle and my wife has a SA-08 auto all with the Weatherby the name on them. Great guns.

Thanks for the feed back guys. Welcome anyone else's opinions on them also. I have always been a fan of Weatherby's and have some Mark V's in the safe but have never really checked out their shotguns. Anyone have thoughts on going prices for a grade I Orion used but in excellent condition and a grade III Athena NIB. Realize there are many variables that can effect price but just wanting some opinions.

Your positive feedback on these have perked my interest and if the fit is right on them they might find a home in my safe.

Thanks,

Matt D

$800.00 to $1,000 for Orion

I got my Athena III for $1200.00 in the box new but that's a rare deal IMO. I would say from $1600.00 to $2,000 is more in the ball park for a new unfired one

I would say start shopping fast for the price of those guns is going Up, Up Up.........Bob

Bob - Is the price for these going up for a reason or do you mean just in general? Just curious.

Thanks,

Matt D

All guns are going up. But what helping the Weatherby along is an article in one of the Gun Mags, That even now, as they are being made by Stefano Fausti. The are on a Par with Beretta, Browning and Ruger. Meaning they are darn good/fine guns........Bob

Because of Weatherby changing Manufactures from SKB to Stefano Fausti. It has forced SKB out of business. The SKB guns are dang fine guns and many are trying to pick one up before the supply is gone. SKB's importer is trying to get things up and running here in the states from what has been said

Here is some links and info on SKB's troubles http://www.twinstatesoutdoors.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=6085

Thanks for the info Onpoint. I don't follow the gun world nearly like I used to so wasn't up on most of that. If I end up with either(or both) I will post some pics.

Thanks,

Matt D

I had a little 20ga. SKB built Orion for a couple of years and used it hard. Not a single problem. Claybirds and ducks used up about 4000 rounds those two years and it never bobbled.

Don't have any experience with the Fausti built guns but they should be fine.

CDNN out of Texas has been running the SKB Orions for 899.00 wholesale lately. Might check there. That is a good buy if you have a FFL holder to deal through.

Rooster

Thank you Bob M. I forgot about them and I have the catalog on my desk. Thanks again..........Bob

Thought I would let you guys know that I ended up with the Orion. They were both at an auction and the Orion sold first and I was able to pick it up for a price I was comfortable paying for it. I would say it has no more than a box of shells through it as there is no wear from the safety movement and not a single mark on the wood or metal anywhere. In other words could not get any closer to NIB then this one is and it did come with the box and all the original paperwork. The Athena which was NIB went for $1550. If I had not bought the Orion I would have went a little more to get it but did not need another 20 ga.

Thanks again for all the input on these guns. I am looking forward to shooting this one and seeing how it does. Think I am now going to look for a Beretta Ultralight in 12 ga. to add to the collection.

Matt D

Congrats, I hope your new Weatherby serves you as well as mine have served me. Great guns

Back