We got our trip booked, and back in SD this year.

Bob Peters

Way back in college we did a trip to ND. That tradition carried on, and when I moved out of Dodge I really missed it. Especially hearing buddies tell me all the stories I missed. I finally moved back to MN, got into hunting again, and invited myself along. That was another ND duck trip. The next year I changed the course and got everyone on board with a pheasant trip. This will be our third year of that and we're going to Day county SD. I wonder if the trip would still be on if I hadn't showed up. Some guys are always on board, others have to be cajoled or prodded to go. My favorite times every season are alone with the dog out in the middle of nowhere chasing roosters. That being said, it's fun to get out with a bunch of old friends, young and old dogs, and do some hunting on new ground. We've never paid to hunt, just go and scout and bang around on public. There's always lots of laughs, old hunting and fishing stories, great meals, and a few frustrations. Anyways we were out this way two seasons ago, so have a general idea of which directions to drive, spots to hunt, etc. I look forward to it every year. And yup, that's Roxy layin' in my lap in the photo. The other four dogs were snoozing away.

Buddy Hunt.jpg

Great tradition with your friends. "it's fun to get out with a bunch of old friends, young and old dogs, and do some hunting on new ground. We've never paid to hunt, just go and scout and bang around on public. There's always lots of laughs, old hunting and fishing stories, great meals, and a few frustrations."

It's always gratifying to bag birds on public lands.

Have a great trip!

Don't worry the pay places have been booked for quite a while.
I wouldn't go even if they called me offering a discount. I shoot a few flare nares before season opens. Hunting the bull pen, uh, I mean bird pen, feels dirty to me if the season is open on wild ones. Just my opinion, no issue with what others do.

Way back in college we did a trip to ND. That tradition carried on, and when I moved out of Dodge I really missed it. Especially hearing buddies tell me all the stories I missed. I finally moved back to MN, got into hunting again, and invited myself along. That was another ND duck trip. The next year I changed the course and got everyone on board with a pheasant trip. This will be our third year of that and we're going to Day county SD. I wonder if the trip would still be on if I hadn't showed up. Some guys are always on board, others have to be cajoled or prodded to go. My favorite times every season are alone with the dog out in the middle of nowhere chasing roosters. That being said, it's fun to get out with a bunch of old friends, young and old dogs, and do some hunting on new ground. We've never paid to hunt, just go and scout and bang around on public. There's always lots of laughs, old hunting and fishing stories, great meals, and a few frustrations. Anyways we were out this way two seasons ago, so have a general idea of which directions to drive, spots to hunt, etc. I look forward to it every year. And yup, that's Roxy layin' in my lap in the photo. The other four dogs were snoozing away.

View attachment 8393
Bob, where do you live now?

I also enjoy an outing or 2 with friends, laughing and kidding around. It is amazing that we shoot birds with the commotion being made, but it happens. A couple hours later we are back to the trucks with our limits, recapping all the good shots , great misses and the dog work. Good stuff, hard not to enjoy that trip Bob.

Back