Waterfowl

MAJTSHR06

Whats the waterfowl look like out their this year. Please dont crusify me just dont have the time to be on 10 different forums. Any water starting to freeze up yet.

You do realize that unless you have a S.D. waterfowl permit NOW. You may not get one! They are limited or short duration in the Dakota's. I doubt any weather so far will impact the population up there. Many stay till after freeze up, you need to consentrate on moving deep water later on, that's mostly the Missouri river, requires hard core watefowling boats and gear, when it gets mild, they will go back to unfroze marshes for how long it lasts, ice and snow shutting of the food source is what makes them move out, but they only go so far. What ever snow and weather will not stay permanantly till a little later normally, but it might be a long and harsh winter, from what's out there now. If your contemplating going I would talk to the S.D. fish and game, about licenses since they can be a lottery, like a big game license.

we already got them for the second wk of nov 10 day lisence. Not going to get too crazy with them primairly hunting pheasant. waterfowl in the morning or whatever opportunities we run upon. wouldnt mind spending half a day targeting snow if we can find some access.

we already got them for the second wk of nov 10 day lisence. Not going to get too crazy with them primairly hunting pheasant. waterfowl in the morning or whatever opportunities we run upon. wouldnt mind spending half a day targeting snow if we can find some access.

Please keep us posted how u do. I spend most of my time chasing fowl here in Indiana. I have yet to put in for draw. I hunt the Charles mix area. Let just say this....the birds have been thief the last couple years. Pintails, shov, teal and just about everything else. Like any fowl hunting....the time you put in prior to the hunt will show in your bounty.
If I had my choice, I would field hunt in that area, it's incredible what I have seen in this great state.
Snows are nuts around lake Andes. Always decoy easier than in spring.
Good luck and share how u do.

Just got back from a 5 day duck/phez trip.....the Northen ducks have not come down yet....the local numbers are huge...they've been shot at so they are bit shy on decoying in......as the weather gets colder and the birds drop in from the North its going to be BIG FUN......shot 1 pheasant in 5 days...pretty sad.....saw maybe only 10 roosters and 20 hens....logged alot of miles and I hope I never see a CATTAIL the rest of my life......You should have a great duck hunt.....

Back