Waterfowl...where have I been?

So with the struggles of this year pheasant populations, wacked out weather and my budget, I have not gotten in the pheasant hunting that I normally get every year. So with itchy trigger finger and the need to return to the field, I figured maybe I will go find some ducks. I an a newbie at this by the way. If anyone here is from my state, you soon realize that if you don't own it, or have a buddy that owns it, you ain't hunting. This really makes me appriciate those states that have programs for hunting and fishing private lands or state lands. So, back to the story, did some scouting, research and paid my 50 bucks to the corps of engineers to hunt a local lake. Damn have I had a good time. Been 7 times in the past 2-1/2 weeks. The dog and I are both learning every time. I can see that this could get addicting, plus all the crap one could end up buying. Currently I am using my waders from fly fishing with water camo overpants, my long sleeved dove camo shirt over fleece jacket and head net. Walk in 2 to 3 miles at 05:30 with about 10 decoys and wait for the early morning flight from the lake up the river channel. Headed to the coast this weekend with some buddies to try that out as well.

That is great and you are correct about it being addicting and you can spend tons on gear! Every year my motto is "take what is available"! Some years pheasants in CO or NE and some years ducks/geese on our lake here in CO. Currently we are froze up but typically the ice is good for geese, but not this year! So I am headed to NE for ditch chickens! The dog doesn't care as long as she gets out!

More should be coming. My job site is on lake carlos here for the last 2 months. 50 degrees here yesterday, unbelievable. But this has left tons of ducks and geese here. 2-3 thousand on carlos alone right now. But I bet they leave today, winter just arived.;)

That is great and you are correct about it being addicting and you can spend tons on gear! Every year my motto is "take what is available"! ...... The dog doesn't care as long as she gets out!

Ditto and RT, yea just enjoy what you can.
I love to hunt any winged thing...but my favorite to eat is Quail and Pheasant, still I eat um all.

In waterfowl I lean towards Canadian Geese. My current dog. The first Goose out of a pit he went to retrieve. He got within ten yards of it then froze into a nice solid point.

By the end of the hunt he was just retrieving, I guess it took him a turn to realize we were field goosing not roostering.:D

I wanted to shoot a duck or two for my first time this year but haven't gotten to yet. Sounds like fun!

waterfowl

i love waterfowl hunting. I live along the ohio river and the waterfowl hunting is alot better than any upland hunting here. This year has been horrible though. We still have yet to get any migration and season is just 2 weeks from ending. By far the worst year we have had. We have managed to kill a few birds, mostly resident canadas. I did manage to get my first banded bird though. If anyone is in wv and wants to go sometime pm, always lookin for new hunting buddies

waterfowl

i love waterfowl hunting. I live along the ohio river and the waterfowl hunting is alot better than any upland hunting here. This year has been horrible though. We still have yet to get any migration and season is just 2 weeks from ending. By far the worst year we have had. We have managed to kill a few birds, mostly resident canadas. I did manage to get my first banded bird though. If anyone is in wv and wants to go sometime pm, always lookin for new hunting buddies

Oh yes, RustyTrigger, it is addictive! I got away from waterfowling when steel was mandated but couldn't stay away for many years.
When I started back I had to aquire all the tools; steel shot, gun for steel shot, waders, calls, gotta have a dog, vet bills, dog food, dog training, dog box. Then there is the boat/motor/trailer. Gotta have a boat blind, blind in the swamp, layout blind for fieldhunting, duck stamps, hip boots, knee boots, upgrade the boat with a mudmotor/now it needs pods to modify the back for the mudmotor, all them Cabelas waterfowl clothes, headlight, blind bag, NEW duck call better than the one you started with, and gas for the truck to pull all this junk to the creek.
Went hunting and shot two teal and two gadwall. Cleaned the ducks, weighed the meat and divided by the cost..........Cost $4318.22/oz.!!!;) Worth every penny!
Seriously, I have to drive 8-10 hours to find wild pheasant, quail populations are not huntable here, so I waterfowl most every day of our season. I do truly love it and the joy of working my dog on those rascals. It is MY outdoor sport.
BobM

Back