Waterfowl Opener

1pheas4

Anyone heading out this weekend for N. IL waterfowl opener? Let us know how your doing out there. Rain for Saturday morning:thumbsup: It's been awhile since we've seen some ugly weather for our waterfowl opener.

Good luck:cheers:

Did anyone get out this morning:confused:

This was the slooooowest opening day I've ever seen. Didn't hear any shooting (besides shots fired from our blind. Only brought 3 green heads home. No geese. Seen some Woodies buz the pond.

Hopefully others did better. Below are a few pictures from this morning.:)

Couple goose decoys on the pond
picture.php

Green heads from N. Il waterfowl 2012 opener
picture.php

My lab Winston
picture.php

Wild turkey
picture.php

There's was some shooting between me and RHC. Probably on Lake Elizabeth.

I'm almost convinced it's impossible to get the IL threads moving UplandH:eek::confused:

Have you hit grouse yet this year? I got out last weekend. #'s were good. Weather was very wet though. Still a great time.

I got out yesterday for the opener, did some hunting on the fox river. It was pretty slow but I managed to get two woodies. It was nice to be out either way though!

I got out yesterday for the opener, did some hunting on the fox river. It was pretty slow but I managed to get two woodies. It was nice to be out either way though!

Those clear skies don't seem to be helping any. I can't remember the last opening day without it. Same conditions every time it seems.:confused:

I've been going back and forth from my home to Cary (just off the river). There's been some shooting. Lot's of geese landing on subdivision ponds. Pressure's on those birds today.

Did anyone get out this morning:confused:

This was the slooooowest opening day I've ever seen. Didn't hear any shooting (besides shots fired from our blind. Only brought 3 green heads home. No geese. Seen some Woodies buz the pond.

Hopefully others did better. Below are a few pictures from this morning.:)

Couple goose decoys on the pond
picture.php

Green heads from N. Il waterfowl 2012 opener
picture.php

My lab Winston
picture.php

Wild turkey
picture.php

Those nice mallards, and a dry blind, and has dog access, two of my pet peeves. Do you camo it? We would flare every bird but some newby teal here. Although it's true ducks and geese become familar with objects that are always there. And I think movement is the key. We just did the camo deluxe on our blinds. To shield the blind from the ducks, and to shield our prying eyes!

I'm almost convinced it's impossible to get the IL threads moving UplandH:eek::confused:

Have you hit grouse yet this year? I got out last weekend. #'s were good. Weather was very wet though. Still a great time.

I haven't been up to N WI yet. Im headed up Thurs thru Sunday but Im not sure Ill be able to chase any birds. Taking out the pier etc that weekend.

You chased grouse last w/e? Where?

I was at Woodstock N High School early this morning for a 5k charity run and theres a retention pond next to it and wow were there a lot of geese on it. Flying off of it for 2 hours this morning.

I haven't been up to N WI yet. Im headed up Thurs thru Sunday but Im not sure Ill be able to chase any birds. Taking out the pier etc that weekend.

You chased grouse last w/e? Where?

I was at Woodstock N High School early this morning for a 5k charity run and theres a retention pond next to it and wow were there a lot of geese on it. Flying off of it for 2 hours this morning.

I was in Central Wis. Leaves are off the trees so things are ready to go. It was very wet last weekend. We only did 3 hunts. Flushed 11 grouse that we know of. No woodcocks this go-around.

Hope you can get out for a hunt or two.

Yeah, there's a lot of geese out there. They're all bunching up on "safe havens" today. Saw 4 swans fly over head today at my in-laws place.:thumbsup: Their wings make a unique sound I've never heard before. Cool stuff.

That area you saw the geese on today used to be a small wetland many years ago. Used to hold pheasants in the winter. Never caught up with them though. Just saw their tracks in the snow.

Back