Water to field transition

braskie10213

*Water

I have not been pheasant hunting in several years do to relocation. Thus I have been focusing my time and dog work geared towards duck hunting. Very recently and unexpectedly, relocated back to pheasant territory and excited about being able to participate in the upcoming season. I have a 3 year old lab that I have put a lot of time into training for duck hunting and am finally starting to see it pay off. She is a great retriever and follows commands really well. I have been taking her to a local dog training park that has some thick grass and have been working on quartering a field and she has been busting the heck out, looks like the makings of a great flusher. I have yet to introduce her to live birds, most we have done is some wing and pheasant scent dummy training, which she is starting to get excited about. I have not been getting the impression that I am confusing the hell out of her. I keep weighting the fact that I should just treat this situation as anyone would with a first time pup on a hunt, but she has a couple years on her. My main concern is I have not had enough time(due to only being back for the past couple months) to properly introduce her to live bird training and that seems like a silly reason to rush something like this as this is just one of many more seasons to come. I am leaning more towards working with her some more possibly hitting a game farm in a month or so and sit here out the opener, even though I will be participating .

Looking for a little feed back. Anyone ever been in a similar situation?

Keep in mind this is the first dog I have trained and I'm a young guy before anyone rips me a new one, not that this would stop anyone.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you going to better off in a year by getting her to a game farm once or twice? If she were mine I'd go out and hunt her,,,you can get that in a weekend of wild birds. Do it solo or with a friend I'd probably skip the big groups.

Its your call you know your dog and what you want to get out of her.

Game farms are great for keeping your dog on birds. You can learn a lot about your dog at the game farm. It will help you improve your ability to improve your dog.
Hunting wild birds is the ultimate test for a dog and it's nice to see your work pay off.

Back