Wasted time in NE Kansas

RoosterBuck

I'm done hunting NE Kansas. We hunted valley falls, didnt kick up a feather. I have tried all over NE Ks trying to stay close to KC so I can be home the same day I left. After a short discussion with my hunting buddy, (and a trip to topeka to buy a choke that someone forgot to put back in his gun after cleaning it) we decided to cruise out past marysville ks. saw roosters in first field we hunted. I highly suggest anything west of marysville. But be aware, if it has rained or the snow has melted make sure your 4X4 is working! A lot of roads out there arent in the best shape. If anyone wants to meet up around marysville next weekend, shoot me a line. could always use another gun since its usually just me and my buddy and our two young pointers!

dannondorf@hotmail.com

Yeah NE Ks is kinda rough right now, the birds are makin a come back though. Dad saw a few roosters fly over our place outside Perry (south of Valley Falls) this weekend. Hopefully in a few years the numbers will be up, I think quail are really gettin close! I wish I had this weekend off I mighta taken you up on Marysville, we hunted west of there by 80 miles for the opener. Good luck and report back!

NE kansas

I hunted around Hiawatha and found 4 coveys and flushed 2 pheasants on saturday. I feel the quail are picking up for sure up there but the farmers we talked to said that they havent see many quail at all and havent seen a pheasant all year. times are tough up there though for birds. that ice storm 2 winters ago really hurt.

Valley falls

I was out by valley falls yesterday. Still a lot of crops in which doesnt help. I hunted NW of rock creek and there are bird just too much covey for them to hide in now. What were you hunting WIHA, public, or private? We found some quail, but I think the rooster are there just hiding(we did see hens). I will be there for a week next week to deer hunt and we usually stumble onto bird while walking out deer on pubic land. I will be happy to let you all know my findings. Try the grass and crop field by the W River Marsh we found some Quail. Good news my Britt Pup Rufus got a great point on a single and I caught it on film. :thumbsup:

Back