Wanted: Youth size shotgun.

Rocky, If I had a youngster, I was going to start on hunting. I would get that person a 28 gauge. With the modern choke tubes and so forth a 28 makes a lot sense. I would be fussy and get one with a 28 inch barrel, they swing ever so sweet. The drawback is Ammo. You on the average 1-2 dollars more per box, over 20 gauge ammo. But man; the young one will love the gun and you for getting it.---Bob

Rocky, If I had a youngster, I was going to start on hunting. I would get that person a 28 gauge. With the modern choke tubes and so forth a 28 makes a lot sense. I would be fussy and get one with a 28 inch barrel, they swing ever so sweet. The drawback is Ammo. You on the average 1-2 dollars more per box, over 20 gauge ammo. But man; the young one will love the gun and you for getting it.---Bob

that's good advice because I do remember the 870 20ga have quite a little kick to it which will take away from shooting enjoyment.

If you get the 20 ga. it will give the kid a gun he can use for many years. And by using low base game loads to start it won't kick any more than a 28 ga. and have more punch.

Bob and I disagree on barrel length due to personal preference. Bob likes 28" and I like shorter, 24' or 26". I believe that most youth guns have shorter (21" barrel on the 870) barrels. When the stock gets too short you can purchase a regular length stock. Also a longer barrel if you desire.

Tough to beat and 870 for this purpose. Check out the New Remington Model 870 Express Compact guns. Looks like it would be a great choice.
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_870/model_870_express_compact.asp

Right or left handed?

When my oldest son was coming into gun age, I found him to be left eye dominant. About that time a friend had a nearly new 1100 left hand 20 gauge and we purchased and had choke tubes put in. It was a very good gun for him.

When the next son came into hunting he was right eye dominant and even though I could have picked up a right handed gun, I gave him a Browning BPS youth 20 gauge with the bottom eject. That is a sweet little gun and will take 3 inch magnum shells. As a matter of fact his first bird was a high flying mallard drake taken with a 3 inch #2 steel. I borrowed that gun when I was working my birddog pup on a check cord and it was perfect.

I really do like the Browning BPS 20 gauge youth gun.

George, I belong to and shoot at 3 gun clubs. 2 have Trap and Skeet and 1 is Trap only. I shot about 2 times a week on the average. My son shoots skeet, so I'm over there pulling the birds for him and the other shooters. I hear a lot of comments about guns. The one I hear most is Short Barrels develop bad habit's, for they do not swing smooth and true. All the youth guns at these clubs for teaching youths and new shooters. All have 28 inch barrels and are Remington 12 and 20 gauge 1100 and 11-87's. Why for they swing smooth and tend to hold down the development of bad habits. Namely, the one that pops up the most is they stop their swing. Even the old skeet shooters hate them for the same reason.---Bob

Last edited:
Bob,
I will never convince you to change and visa versa. I would agree that for trap shooting a little longer barrel would be best. Or for waterfowl pass shooting. But for most upland game I think a shorter barrel is a better choice. Again, it boils down to personal preference. What feels good and works good for you. I know I can take my 24" Montefeltro to the trap range and hang in there with the best of them. I don't shoot trap but the last time I did I was 24 for 25. Missed the last bird. I also feel that you take a 12 year old kid that is maybe a little on the smaller side and they find it more difficult to swing the longer barrels. That's been my expereince. Each to their own. You know where I stand and I'm done debating the issue! :)

George

Back