walk in areas

cowdog

So I just got the late season wia atlas and opened it up to find some of my private that Ive been huntin for years is enrolled this year, honey holes at that. Ive always hunted this farm and am allowed to drive down any tractor path on the place. now that its enrolled does that mean I cant do that anymore?

Last edited:
Or if others start doing it you may not see the land enrolled next year......but it is nice to see that some quality land has been added instead of the waste lands they seem to enroll.

Last edited:
Had the same thing happen to one of my sweet spots. I went to it two years ago and found a "Walk In" sign on the corners. Never seen a bird on it since :(

So I just got the late season wia atlas and opened it up to find some of my private that Ive been huntin for years is enrolled this year, honey holes at that. Ive always hunted this farm and am allowed to drive down any tractor path on the place. now that its enrolled does that mean I cant do that anymore?

Technically, now that it's enrolled, you're not allowed to access it by motorized vehicle, only foot. That said, the landowner still has the ultimate say so if you have a relationship with him/her you may be able to retain your vehicle access permissions.

You guys seem to be pretty sour about WIA??? What gives?

I dont hunt walkin and never have but will this year. At least I know these properties better than even the owner ( from a hunters perspective) so Im sure Ill be able to scatch a few out of there. I do still have all the ground across the road to myself so maybe the masses will chase them over there.
But damn thats some good ground....If the masses find it.....oh well I got plenty more.

I'm not so much against the WIA program, it just I liked it more before the program started. I pretty much had the entire region to myself and birds were easy to come by. I put in a lot of time and gas tpo find my spots and the WIA program from a presonal selfish perspective it made the hunting a whole lot harder. Now folks know about the region and pound on doors trying to access other farms too

Back