Walk-in Access Point

dhuggins

Hello all, question about BLM access points and parking. I apologize if this is a silly question, but I want to follow the rules as I'm very appreciative of people letting us hunt their land. On my OnX app it has an icon for the walk in access point and I assume this is where you sign in to gain access to that BLM. However, do you have to park there and walk from there to hunt, or can you drive down the roads on that BLM and park on the side of the roads to enter the BLM? More specifically, if I'm wanting to hunt clear across the other side of the BLM and there is no access point over there, then do I have to walk all the way over there or can I drive to it then park and get out and hunt?

If you're talking the State Block Management program properties, the parking area is THE parking area for walk-in hunting. Driving beyond those points should not occur. You may be able to park on other public roads fronting the property, but experience has been walk-in means NO DRIVING. Now federal BLM lands...I have no clue.

It is my belief that you can drive on well established two track roads on BLM property. I have no proof of this and suggest calling the local BLM office for verification. Certainly you cannot drive off road.
School trust land in MT is entirely walk in from a legal access point.
Block Management (usually private property) areas have designated parking areas. The sign in boxes will have maps with parking / access roads and the specific rules for that BMA.

Hello all, question about BLM access points and parking. I apologize if this is a silly question, but I want to follow the rules as I'm very appreciative of people letting us hunt their land. On my OnX app it has an icon for the walk in access point and I assume this is where you sign in to gain access to that BLM. However, do you have to park there and walk from there to hunt, or can you drive down the roads on that BLM and park on the side of the roads to enter the BLM? More specifically, if I'm wanting to hunt clear across the other side of the BLM and there is no access point over there, then do I have to walk all the way over there or can I drive to it then park and get out and hunt?
Drive!!

Back