waconda inn beloit kansas

bchunter

So just got some devistating today less than a month from opening weekend. The waconda inn in beloit kansas shut down without notice. We have stayed there for years and now are scrambling to find a place to stay. Guess there is gonna be a lot of sleeping in cars going on lol. With the bird numbers down may not even be worth going. Even called a few hotels in the area and they r still fully booked even with grim reports of bird numbers..just think it would have been nice if they notified all of the hunters that booked a year in advance for rooms opening weekend know that they were closing down..i dont know guess i am asking too much.

So just got some devistating today less than a month from opening weekend. The waconda inn in beloit kansas shut down without notice. We have stayed there for years and now are scrambling to find a place to stay. Guess there is gonna be a lot of sleeping in cars going on lol. With the bird numbers down may not even be worth going. Even called a few hotels in the area and they r still fully booked even with grim reports of bird numbers..just think it would have been nice if they notified all of the hunters that booked a year in advance for rooms opening weekend know that they were closing down..i dont know guess i am asking too much.

they don't care, they are punching out...not worried if anyone ever comes back...opening weekend is always pretty big, birds or no birds.

they don't care, they are punching out...not worried if anyone ever comes back...opening weekend is always pretty big, birds or no birds.

Very true..but you would think they would at least give a courtesy call especially when u have been going there for decades and they know u by name. People have to put their reservation in year in advance and people plan family trips for that weekend and to not just call anyone is just jacked up lol. At least we were smart and called to check out the situation before we just drove up there to a boarded up hotel lol

Sorry your lodging plans have gone south:mad:
I looked online and the place is for sale at $250K

PM me and I will direct you to a few places that I have stayed over the past 20 years......

Good luck!

Sorry your lodging plans have gone south:mad:
I looked online and the place is for sale at $250K

PM me and I will direct you to a few places that I have stayed over the past 20 years......

Good luck!

Thank you i appreciate that..i will do that..have checked around and of course every place within an hour and a half is booked lol...i guess the brid numbers arent scaring away as many people as we think lol..still looking forward to a phenomenal time..hell i will sleep in the ground by the campfire if i have to.i am not missing opening weekend for anything

Glen Elder Reservoir has some nice campgrounds. Although it may be a bit chilly unless you have a heat source for your tent.

I've often thought about buying some sort of small camping trailer to pull. Thought it would be fun to start a duck camp and bird camp each year.

Where there is a will there is a way!

Glen Elder Reservoir has some nice campgrounds. Although it may be a bit chilly unless you have a heat source for your tent.

I've often thought about buying some sort of small camping trailer to pull. Thought it would be fun to start a duck camp and bird camp each year.

Where there is a will there is a way!

We did that in the 80s a lot....of course i was younger then and the cold and ground didnt bother me so much lol....we are probably gonna do that this year

A fella might call the number for the for sale ad and see if you he work something out. There may be a cabin or two at a state park, possibly Glen Elder or Kirwin, also. What about some of the landowners/farmers where you hunt?

Last edited:
I don't think I wanna sleep on the ground anymore either...

just take a good, thick closed cell foam mat and put a quality sleeping bag with it...a roomy tent...for 3 or 4 days, that should be doable...but alas I am a warm motel guy myself....all depends on how bad you want to go.

Umm yeah that's probably not going to happen. I bet there is a good cafe close tho. U going up Thursday night or Friday morning?

Afew years back my buddie and I decided to hit the opener on a whim. We were planning to hunt the Hill City area. I wanted a Campground with a shower. I finally found one in Russell . It cost $12 a night to pitch a tent right next to the shower and laundry trailer which had a nice warm lounge. The two of us and Notch, my lab stayed two nights quite comfortably. It was a bit of a drive to our hunting spots but it worked out nicely. Look at the Russell city site and I bet you could figure it out and give the nice lady a call itf she's still there. We had foam self -inflating pads and toasty sleeping bags. Hope this helps.

Some of our best hunts have been from tent camping. It seemed like we hunted real hard and till dark since there wasnt any reason to head to town and the hotel. Camped a few times in dead end dirt roads as well. Its actually nice to NOT have to head to any specific town when you are out.

Some of our best hunts have been from tent camping. It seemed like we hunted real hard and till dark since there wasnt any reason to head to town and the hotel. Camped a few times in dead end dirt roads as well. Its actually nice to NOT have to head to any specific town when you are out.

wow! are you kidding I want hot breakfast and a warm bed ,how do you guys do it?oh lunch and dinner as well im guessing you just packed lots of lovely bologna? I wish I was that tough, I like hunting till dark but I like the good restaurants watching tv or sitting in a hot tub:thumbsup:

I must admit, I ain't tough enough to camp either. That top of the mornin', yesterday's chilly-dog poop isn't something I wanna be doin' at 5am in the cold, winter woods:D

I must admit, I ain't tough enough to camp either. That top of the mornin', yesterday's chilly-dog poop isn't something I wanna be doin' at 5am in the cold, winter woods:D

Didn't I start a thread about that a year or two ago? :laugh: It's only bad until you do it so often that it becomes second nature to #2 in nature.:thumbsup:

If I start shivering, any chance of falling asleep goes out the window... I would need a good heater for sure if I was going to camp this time of year. Even better than Daisy, who does put out a lot of heat. :laugh:

lo lwhat thread was it that you do it and your boys start laughing ? I still chuckle at that, tell the story again I may have messed it up

Didn't I start a thread about that a year or two ago? :laugh: It's only bad until you do it so often that it becomes second nature to #2 in nature.:thumbsup:

If I start shivering, any chance of falling asleep goes out the window... I would need a good heater for sure if I was going to camp this time of year. Even better than Daisy, who does put out a lot of heat. :laugh:

Yes, you did. It was a goodin' too. It lent itself well to some hilarious tales.

Hey, did you read where all the birds are this year? Oh heck, I see this thread is about NC KS too. What day are we all meetin' there? Will all the internet scouters that read this forum, but do not post....will they all meet us there too? Gosh, I sure hope so:eek:

It's gonna be one great big ole KS pheasant party:cheers::rolleyes:

Back