Who shoots old guns?

English?

American?

European?

What gauge?

DT or single trigger?

Hammers or hammerless?

Boxlock or sidelock?

Hi, here are my SxS, a mix of vintage and modern. The Brit guns are all vintage. The rest are modern with the exception of the Goluch 16ga hammergun. The FN 16ga was made in 1945 so on the cusp perhaps.

I do like my SxS's.

12b James Purdey, Best (SLE, DT) English
12b Holland & Holland, Royal (SLE, DT) English
12b E.J. Churchill, Premiere Quality (SLE, DST) English
12b John Blanch, Best (Backaction, DT & Damascus bbls) English
12b Henry Atkin, Best (SLE, DT) English
12b Cogswell & Harrison, Konor (SLE, DT) English
12b FA Anderson, BLE (SLE, DT) English
12b Joseph Harkom, Hammergun (DT) English
12b Samuel Allport, Hammergun (DT) English
12ga Buhag, Hubertus, (SLE, DT) German
12ga Merkel, 147E (BLE, SST) German
12ga Bernadelli, Italia, Hammergun (DT) Italian
12ga SIACE, 350g, Hammergun (Self cocking, SLE, DT,) Italian
16b John Wilkes, Best Grade (SLE, DT) English
16b Charles Hellis, Best Grade (BLE, DT) English
16b Charles Boswell, 2d Quality (BLE, DT) English
16b D. Gotobed, Hammergun (damascus bbls) English
16ga Arrieta, 871 (Boss style engraving) (SLE, DT) Spanish
16ga Garbi, 100 (SLE, DT) Spanish
16ga Ugartechea, 1030 (SLE, DT) Spanish
16ga FN, (BLE, DT) Belguim
16ga Carl Goluch, Hammergun (made by Franz Sodia) Austrian
16ga Dickinson, (BLE, DT) Turkey
20ga Yildiz (BLE, SST) Turkey

Fun post!

Best

Greg

Last edited:
Greg I knew this post was right up your alley. That's am impressive collection. The other thing is that I know you and your sons use all of them regularly because I see them in your photos. It's nice to see a guy who has them and enjoys them so much. Oh yeah...and they also get you lots of birds as I've seen in the pictures. Very nice!

I have one a Winchester Model 23xtr pigeon (Japan) in 12 gauge. I plan to get it out more next year.

My 16 ga Sterlingworth gets a workout every year. Light and smooth shooter. Still going strong after 97 years.

I only own one, but, I enjoy it immensely. It is a C.G. Bonehill 12 ga. sidelock ejector with 30" barrels and original 2 3/4" chambers. It was built in Birmingham circa 1930.

Don't have one, but will have when all the cards line up. Was going to buy one this fall before some fairly massive truck repairs (thanks Ford 6.0 :) )

It will be a 16 guage, double trigger, fairly trim. If fixed chokes, ideally IC and Modified. Have been looking at various makes mainly Simson, Merkel, Sauer, but also Ugartechea, Aya, Arrieta, and anything else that I come across on my gunbroker and gunsinternational searches. Mostly just wishful thinking at this point, but will come to be in the next year or so.

Don't have one, but will have when all the cards line up. Was going to buy one this fall before some fairly massive truck repairs (thanks Ford 6.0 :) )

It will be a 16 guage, double trigger, fairly trim. If fixed chokes, ideally IC and Modified. Have been looking at various makes mainly Simson, Merkel, Sauer, but also Ugartechea, Aya, Arrieta, and anything else that I come across on my gunbroker and gunsinternational searches. Mostly just wishful thinking at this point, but will come to be in the next year or so.

Don't overlook those old Fox Sterlingworths. They are trim and meet the other preferences. Once you try one, newer, more expensive guns seem to fade badly. Some people have an issue with drop at heel, but mine fits me very well.

Greg I knew this post was right up your alley. That's am impressive collection. The other thing is that I know you and your sons use all of them regularly because I see them in your photos. It's nice to see a guy who has them and enjoys them so much. Oh yeah...and they also get you lots of birds as I've seen in the pictures. Very nice!

Thanks Dukx, sure do appreciate the kind words, they are very much appreciated! I do love SxS's. I remember when I sold a Remington 878 auto to guy because I wanted to get a SxS. He told me that I'll be back to shooting autos, that was over 35 years ago. I haven't hunted with an auto since that time, nor do I think I ever will.

Thanks again!

Greg

Who shoots old guns?

English?

American?

European?

What gauge?

DT or single trigger?

Hammers or hammerless?

Boxlock or sidelock?

Not yet but someday I'd like to say yes to all of the options listed.:cheers:

Have an old eclipse meteor, Damascus barrels, rabbit ears, double trigger, 30" barrels, mod/full. Only low brass hand loads. Have killed one duck, 1 pheasant and 1 rabbit. Hoping to add more after my son is done with hockey and college.....so at least 4 years at least.

I have a much used and loved little 16 bore GECO built in the Merkel plant, chokes opened to LM, double triggers and PG stock. It's taken lots of doves, quail, and ducks here at home and a fair number of Kansas pheasant. I have a scaled up twin JP Sauer 12 bore choked LM/IM that does my heavy duck work.
Bob

I have a much used and loved little 16 bore GECO built in the Merkel plant, chokes opened to LM, double triggers and PG stock. It's taken lots of doves, quail, and ducks here at home and a fair number of Kansas pheasant. I have a scaled up twin JP Sauer 12 bore choked LM/IM that does my heavy duck work.
Bob

What vintage is your Sauer? Have you had any issues shooting steel out of it?

vintage sxs

I have a Belgian Guild gun made between ww1 & ww2. It's a 5 1/2 lb 16 ga sxs choked skt 1 & skt 2. I use it mostly for Ruffed Grouse.

Back