VERY disappointed with Tri-Tronics/Garmin

Point!

Just a bit of venting and wanted to get the word out.

I just got off the phone with Collar Clinic who informed me that my G2 series transmitter is unrepairable. In short, I've owned Tri-Tronics equipment for years as I really like the way they function and the availability of service. Over the years I've had to send in the collars for repair from time to time, but that's no big deal given how hard they are used.

My G2 unit works just fine, but the range is limited to about 400 yards and the there are times when the battery doesn't make good connection resulting in lack of consistency when using the collar. Although I can't remember the last time I "stimulated" one of my dogs, I use the tone often as they are broke to turn or come in based on the length or number of the tone(s). The tone could save a dog's life.

It is very understandable that companies can't make parts for old products forever. None of us would think we could go down to the local Chevy dealer and order a right front fender for a '57. However, what if you could order a right front fender for a '56 but not a '57? That's what has happened with Tri-Tronics/Garmin.

Parts are still made and service is still available for the old original Pro series. I have an old Pro-100 two dog unit that I can have repaired for $169.00. This collar is roughly 8 years older than my G2. I'll probably end up putting it back in service.

I have no I'll will toward Collar Clinic, those guys are great!! My problem is with the lack of support at Garmin. When I buy a new tool, gun, etc., I expect to be able to get it serviced for a very long period of time. That's one of the reasons I used to choose Tri-Tronics.

End of rant.

Point!

Last edited:
Point, I think your thread will feel at home in the gear and equipment forum (instead of the Ks forum) okay?:)

Nick

david0311

Just a thought--

Did you send the transmitter in or just give them a call--what I mean is did they look at it ?

If not --did you consider it might be the collar and not the transmitter?

Good Luck

Of the ecollars I've tried, I like my Dogtra the best. It's just a simple one dog vibrate, nick, and shock model. Very reliable over the years.

Of the ecollars I've tried, I like my Dogtra the best. It's just a simple one dog vibrate, nick, and shock model. Very reliable over the years.

I agree, I've had dogtra for my last three dogs and the collars have been great for both training and hunting.

Every collar has a life expectancy, my G3 lasted over twenty years with hard use, I'm totally happy with that. When Garmin bought Tri-Tronics things did change and not for the better. I'm thinking it may take Garmin a while to start listening to the remaining Tri-Tronics people. As I said in a previous post, I just bought a Garmin/Tri-Tronic Sport Pro, I can only hope I get the same service out of it that I got from the G3.
Duke

Dogtra has been bullet proof for me over the years. No opinion of TT aince Ive never owned one, probably never will

I've been hunting a while and can say I have seen ALL makes of collars fail, so if a particular manufacturer of a collar works for you, great. My biggest requirement was that I can operate without looking at the controller, LEDs and looking for knobs just won't cut it for me in the field when birds are flushing and dogs are running.
Duke

My experience with Tri Tronics has been dismal as of late too. I am currently in the collar market and I am looking at the DT System 1450 Upland collar. As of right now, all reviews have been good and it appears that Company response to issues that arise is really good. Unless I see something to the contrary, I will most likely leave the TT marketplace and go with DT Systems collar.

My experience with Tri Tronics has been dismal as of late too. I am currently in the collar market and I am looking at the DT System 1450 Upland collar. As of right now, all reviews have been good and it appears that Company response to issues that arise is really good. Unless I see something to the contrary, I will most likely leave the TT marketplace and go with DT Systems collar.

I just got the new RAPT Upland 1450 two dog set up and really like it. Very nice quality and the beeper works really well. The only down side is that the controller/transmitter is not rechargeable like the collars and requires a 9v battery that must be replaced when it dies. If you use it daily it last about a month. But really easy system to use otherwise.

G2 heck they no longer support the G3 and its replacements don't do anything better IMO

I bought an ALPHA the manual is a joke and it has way more features ( read uneccessary complexity) than a bird hunter needs.

my next collar won't be TT

I just had to send a DC 40 into Garmin. I had no issue with their customer service. In fact, I got the opposite impression and will continue to work with them and use their products.

G2 heck they no longer support the G3 and its replacements don't do anything better IMO

I bought an ALPHA the manual is a joke and it has way more features ( read uneccessary complexity) than a bird hunter needs.

my next collar won't be TT

I have an alpha as well. I agree. Way too many features. They can overwhelm you. I have to relearn it again each season. Still it works and works better than the rest. I'd like to see some changes.

I have an alpha as well. I agree. Way too many features. They can overwhelm you. I have to relearn it again each season. Still it works and works better than the rest. I'd like to see some changes.

It does have a lot of features but you don't have to use them. Lock the screen to the dog tracking window and treat it like an Astro with an e-collar built in.

I wish the alpha had a couple more physical buttons to be mapped to corrections to help manage multiple dogs. 3 is great for 1 dog, but if you use tone and a correction button per dog it doesn't work for multiple.

Just bought a backup g3 as I needed a back up. Tried a new Garmin and it was total junk, hence the reason to purchase a backup g3 for when the one I have dies.

Outdoorsmin, I have G3 that is my back up. I bought the "replacement" for the G3, the Sport Basic, it's setup like the G3 with what I think are better features. uses the same collar as the Pro series. The transmitter has a toggle for dog selector instead of the dial, which I think is easier to use. I live in the country and when I let the dogs out to do there business, if they stray I can turn on a light, plus a bark collar, this has it all, but this is like Ford Chevy debate, so far I'm good with my Garmin products.
Duke

Back