Verticle Gun Storage Box for truck

carpfisher

I did a search on this topic and couldn't find anything. We are looking for plans/pictures of an upright or verticle gun storage box for the mini-van. Everything I could find is a flat system. Looking for plans etc for a 2-drawer system each drawer holding 2-3 guns. Set the box against the drivers side of the veh so it doesn't block the view.
Any ideas?

Sounds like a locker we used when I was in high school, however we didn't have drawers. I suppose one could build dividers (vertical) for each gun and install a simple door for the locker.

Cabelas has one for $140 that might work...

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Wondering what decision you made one your vertical storage idea? Any other possibilities?

Thanks.

Jonny B
We are designing our own box. Bought some drawer slides 28" long, and some u shaped plastic coated "hooks that have a threaded base to hold the guns. The plan 2,maybe 3 draws tall, wide enough to hold 2 guns per drawer. also an additional gear drawer on the base layer along side the gun drawer. Add a long piece of schedule 40 6or 8" PVC as a water storage unit with a hose fill and a spigot to fill bowls and water bladders. We are trying keep it inexpensive yet functional. No Bottoms in the gun drawers, laun skins over the drawer structure. I will post pix as we make progress.

OK...not sure I understand the specs, but encourage you to go for it! Please offer a video ...so we can visualize how it works.

Good Luck!

OK...not sure I understand the specs, but encourage you to go for it! Please offer a video ...so we can visualize how it works.

Good Luck!

JB:
The taller section on the left is 3 drawers for guns. Each one hold 2 guns. To save weight, the gun drawers won't have any sides or bottom. We used Plastic coated Utility hooks to provide security for the guns. The smaller section on the right is a drawer for everything else; shells, rain gear, TP!, etc... This will have sides, dividers, and a bottom. We were really trying to keep the weight down but the metal drawer extensions slide are too dang heavy. They allow a 36" opening the give enough room to get the guns out safely without ripping off the front sight, etc. We plan to mount a big honking piece of PVC tubing with a valve for dog(and people) water on top of the utility drawer where it joins the gun drawers. This will be about 3' long. More pics to follow as we get it finished and a demo video, of course! :)

C-fisher - sounds like you have it well planned - looking forward to the finished product. Assume there is a patent in the future?

LOL! We have joked about that.

C-fisher - sounds like you have it well planned - looking forward to the finished product. Assume there is a patent in the future?

Progress report.
Dropped from 3 Gun draws to 2. Turns it 3 wouldn't fit in the Mini-van To much "rake" at the back and it was hitting the top of drawer 3.
Skinned with 1/4" plywood.
Ran out of wood but plan to line the utility drawer tomorrow.
Remaining tasks: Finish Sand, Fills screw heads, gaps , prime paint.
We were going to have a 6" Sched 80 PVC tube for water but determined it wasn't enough water. We'll probably build a containment frame for the usual 5 Gal collapsible water bladder. on of the util drawer.View attachment 8572View attachment 8573View attachment 8574

Utility Drawer. Rocking the Constructive Adhesive. Couldn't do a full "outside skin" as the panel were hanging up. Cut individual panels and "glued" then in. A fall out of making it up as we go.
View attachment 8589

Is there a lock arrangement for this storage unit? Looks like you're nearing the end of the project - lookin good!

We are not planning on putting locks on the box. It will have those rubber T-Handle gizmos ( think Yeti Cooler Closure) to keep the drawers for sliding open.

Maybe I missed it, but I thought you were looking for a vertical gun mounting system? This looks like it is a horizontal gun mounting system. Not trying to be critical but I could have sent you to a really nice place that makes these in lightweight molded plastic. Hopefully you had fun building it and dreaming while you were building.

Back