Vehicles

Ok, lol. I get tickled about gas mileage conversations. "So I am going buy a new truck that gets 22 mpg versus the one that is paid for, it only gets 16 mpg." So what do you lose in depreciation the first year? 5k, 7k 10k. That will buy alot of gas, lol. I spend typically 3k on gas for hunting trips yearly. My SUV get 12 mpg. Maybe I do spend more than that....But I admit I am different. I have owned my hunting suv for 19 years, lol. "Landcruiser" This last few days I have been putting in sound matting.

Attachments

• 20221226_113540.jpg
    20221226_113540.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Ok, lol. I get tickled about gas mileage conversations. "So I am going buy a new truck that gets 22 mpg versus the one that is paid for, it only gets 16 mpg." So what do you lose in depreciation the first year? 5k, 7k 10k. That will buy alot of gas, lol. I spend typically 3k on gas for hunting trips yearly. My SUV get 12 mpg.
I don't even want to know what I spend on gas!! Especially this year.

Ok, lol. I get tickled about gas mileage conversations. "So I am going buy a new truck that gets 22 mpg versus the one that is paid for, it only gets 16 mpg." So what do you lose in depreciation the first year? 5k, 7k 10k. That will buy alot of gas, lol. I spend typically 3k on gas for hunting trips yearly. My SUV get 12 mpg. Maybe I do spend more than that....But I admit I am different. I have owned my hunting suv for 19 years, lol. "Landcruiser" This last few days I have been putting in sound matting.
OK, but if u are going to buy a new vehicle, fuel mileage would be one thing I would consider, wouldn't you? I bought new superduty crewcab 4 x4, 8' box Fords every year from 1997 to 2005. The worst bath I took was that I lost about $1200 on one that I put 36000 miles on in 5 months. (About as cheap as buying a set of tires) All of them got 15.5 to 16.5 mpg at 65 mph on cruise. I mostly ordered the v10 because I could tow my 8000 lb charter boat & trailer with it & only lose less than 1 mpg. I currently drive a 2015 f150 screw, but would have ordered another f350 if Ford had not discontinued the V10. I am a retired Ford worker so I did buy them cheaper than most people could, but not a great deal cheaper.

My wife got an Outback for Christmas and I’ve been getting it ready for our daytrips exploring. Slant back kennels and seat covers , bumper scratch pad and floor mats. And if we get serious about it different tires and a good skid plate. I bet she still makes us take the truck.

My wife got an Outback for Christmas and I’ve been getting it ready for our daytrips exploring. Slant back kennels and seat covers , bumper scratch pad and floor mats. And if we get serious about it different tires and a good skid plate. I bet she still makes us take the truck.
I'm still shopping for one. Used prices are finally falling so I'll decide this summer. Leaning towards a 14 because that's the last year I can get a non cvt transmission. My wife let me use her forester for a solo trip earlier this year. Ok for a solo but too small for two guys. I've read every post. a good all-wheel drive system is also a must. The Outback has all these. I'll just have to get that coexist sticker off! :)

I'm still shopping for one. Used prices are finally falling so I'll decide this summer. Leaning towards a 14 because that's the last year I can get a non cvt transmission. My wife let me use her forester for a solo trip earlier this year. Ok for a solo but too small for two guys. I've read every post. a good all-wheel drive system is also a must. The Outback has all these. I'll just have to get that coexist sticker off! :)
My wife got an Outback this summer and really likes it, we also got my son a forester. They are both good vehicles, I like the forester as it seems to have more headroom then the outback. Her outback has every bell and whistle, the outback does seem to have more room when seats are folded down. I don't think you can go wrong with either one for 2 people just a matter of how much stuff you bring along with you. My son and I did a trip to SD in a 2006 Rav4 with 2 dogs, lab and britt. We were able to get all of our stuff in the car but it was packed like a can of sardines. I would definitely upgrade to an all terrain tire, I do think some of the minimum maintained roads would cause issues for ground clearance with any of these vehicles, plus would be wheelbase would be narrower so you could offset to help it clearance issues. I just dont think I can give up the space of my crewcab for one of these but who knows.

Late to the party but I have been down this road as well....

If I would have had the equipment and skill, I would still be driving a '92 Chevy S10 Blazer or a '97 Chevy Tahoe. I kept the Tahoe for 23 years before it was getting too costly for me to pay to keep it running. I miss both of those vehicles. I bought an Outback with the 3.6L engine and the CVT. I did not want the CVT but I could not find an model that suited any better. Milforester is correct about the differences between the Outback and the Forester. The Outback is longer and lower and the Forester is taller and shorter. The two have nearly the same volume on the inside. The Forester has better angles of approach and departure for any off-roading that might be attempted. I really do enjoy the fuel economy when traveling from East TN (about as far east as you can get and stay in TN) and IA, SD or KS but it is tight for me and two dogs. So much so, that I purchased a used Aluma AE46 trailer to pull behind the Outback. I have been taking a small Weber gas grill out with me and cook most evening meals outside the hotel. That trailer cuts my fuel economy but it is still higher than the Tahoe was. It would not bother me to buy a larger truck/SUV if the Outback gets "designated" as the used car of choice for either of my boys (funny how that works). I tried to do the research on the AWD of all choices and Subaru's AWD and Acura's SHAWD seemed to be pretty well received. I do not need the payments of the Acura- so the Outback became the choice. I am not sure the Ruffland SUV kennels fit the back of the Forester with the seats up. That was a big part of my decision as I do hunt grouse locally and at times take both dogs and two passengers.

Thumbs down on Japanese vehicles. Buy American and man up.

Goose, There a lot of Japanese cars that have more American Labor in them, than most American Brands today. Do a little research.... What is left? GM & Ford?
Dodge is owned by Fiat...

Okay for all you SUV guys. My wife has to take a trip this summer and needs to rent a car preferably a SUV where she is going. Our criteria for any car is 2 400 crates have to fit side by side in the back. Her present car is a 2020 Expedition. Prior to that we used Suburbans pre 2014 when the crates could rest on the floor. Do any of the Toyotas or other suvies have a back large enough to fit 2 400's side by side.

Okay for all you SUV guys. My wife has to take a trip this summer and needs to rent a car preferably a SUV where she is going. Our criteria for any car is 2 400 crates have to fit side by side in the back. Her present car is a 2020 Expedition. Prior to that we used Suburbans pre 2014 when the crates could rest on the floor. Do any of the Toyotas or other suvies have a back large enough to fit 2 400's side by side.
Not sure about 400 size but my dog box that fits in my Tacoma, fits in my wife's Subaru forester.

Maybe in a highlander or the big kia or hyndai or maybe a honda pilot? I think you are going to have to find somebody and check. I think you are going to be really tight length and width. We looked at a subaru ascend and it didn't seem you gained enough to fit a large sized kennel and keep the second seat. I have two large pet porters I guess I could see if they fit in the outback with the seats down. Heres the dimensions on a highlander if it helps.

Last edited:
The 2018 Outback holds 2 intermediate Ruffland SUV kennels (with kennel covers) side by side with the seats up. It won't hold any larger kennels side by side nor anything much longer. There might be an inch of room going towards the seats. The slanted back of the SUV version of the kennel was a good idea from Ruffland.

Ford f150, chevy silverado, dodge power wagon
Are you talking about all those Silverado’s made in central Mexico being the American ones? I’ve driven by the plant. 100s of acres of new 1500s staged for loading on the trains to come back to the US. Gotta love that $4/hour labor rate there.

My Tundra was made in San Antonio. But it’s Japanese to the core….

The 2018 Outback holds 2 intermediate Ruffland SUV kennels (with kennel covers) side by side with the seats up. It won't hold any larger kennels side by side nor anything much longer. There might be an inch of room going towards the seats. The slanted back of the SUV version of the kennel was a good idea from Ruffland.
I also use the SUV version of Ruffland intermediates. I don't need them for my vehicle (Tahoe), but my wife could never get both kennels in her car without them.

Back