Vehicle equipment for the boonies

Bob Peters

What do you guys think I should keep in the bed as far as getting unstuck or fixing bum tires?

Last edited:
Chain, jump pack for battery, tow strap, good jack, water, first aid kit, shovel, axe, good lights

Yes - a solid metal plate or strong slats are important if trying to lift a heavy truck on soft ground.

Some snacks and a blanket or sleeping bag or two - just in case.

This is where pushing your tires to max out on total mileage can get you. Don't be afraid to give up 10K miles for better traction and better puncture resistance.

Say tires are $1200 installed. You lose a couple hundred in flipping them out early. What is that now days a couple tanks of gas ??

This is where pushing your tires to max out on total mileage can get you. Don't be afraid to give up 10K miles for better traction and better puncture resistance.

Say tires are $1200 installed. You lose a couple hundred in flipping them out early. What is that now days a couple tanks of gas ??
This is the exact position I'm in! Going to the tire shop soon.

A good jack... I had one instance where I hunted a remote area of SD. Got back to the parking lot after a hunt and had a flat tire. Ground was too soft for the jack and couldn't lift the vehicle anywhere. Moved the truck so the truck could go on a rock, the only hard surface around. Wasn't level though, jack buckled and broke. Walked a mile or so to a farm and had a nice guy who drove his loader down, hooked a chain around my hitch, and had the tire changed. I also never leave my "main town" without a full tank of gas each morning.

Great Point Jackrabbit ... In rural areas, I fill the tank anytime I pass an open station and I am below 3/4 tank. Some small towns shut down pretty early, especially on the weekends. Don't assume pumps run on a credit card when place is closed.

A little d/c powered air compressor...or a/c if your vehicle is so equipped, then the tire plugs you brought will be useful. Try the compressor before you need it. Maybe an extra spare wheel/tire, if room allows and your not running 10 ply tires, but I have to assume you will be running 10 plys!

Check your spare tire winch. Spare set of keys, 2nd ice scraper , and face covering , sucks digging out in blowing snow without it. Breakover bar and and wheel nut sized socket.

Back