Vaccinations

BirdBocx

New AVMA vaccination recommendations

Excluding rabies, it seems as if the AVMA has changed its recommendations on core vaccinations -- instead of yearly, there has been a shift to inoculating every three years. I'm not sure how recent this change is, but now that my dogs are due for their annuals, it is the first I have heard about it.

First, just wanted to share this info in case you were also unaware of this.

Second, for those that knew/know this, will you continue to vaccinate yearly for DHPP?

Last, the recommendation is to continue to give lepto vaccine on a yearly basis. I prefer to vaccinate my own dogs, but it is proving difficult to find a vaccine for lepto only (my usual web source doesn't offer it, nor do several other sites that I have checked). Anyone know of a source? I have not yet checked with my vet about it -- thought I would see what others are doing first.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
My vet recommends the DHLP+PC booster every other year. But it may be required more often in other parts of the country. The rabies is also every other year but actually the rabies is good for 3 years. There seems to be a lot of contraversy about how often we need to vaccinate our dogs. Many are thinking that we are over vaccinating.

Thanks for your input, Zeb. The every other year approach is interesting.

Yes, lots of controversy over the last several years. From what I am reading, lepto vaccine only lasts for a year, hence the recommendation to continue with it annually. Going through the trouble and expense of titer checks seems a bit excessive, yet just like nearly everyone else on this forum, doing what's right for my partners is pretty important.

Our group gets togeather and gives the shot every spring, We buy a bulk pack of pre measured shots and it amounts to less then 6$. It is what we have always done without issue. We do the Limes as well. I have yet to hear our vet say anything about that change. We get the Bordetella and rabies from him. So news to me. One Guy in our club is a vet who owns a clinic and another is a vet tec at the U. I guess if the change is recomended from the ones I trust I will follow there recomendations, but till then I won't change. Interesting.

Back