Using wind

Goosemaster

When hunting on a windy day, it is way easier to get close to birds. Here is a tip.If your dog is on a bird,hide downwind of the brush,and don't move.That bird will probably give you a good passing shot.Wear camo,and stay right on the edge.

I like wind but I think it’s hard to keep a flushing dog from charging in and flushing them out of range and probably harder for a pointing dog to pin them down

Last edited:
When hunting on a windy day, it is way easier to get close to birds. Here is a tip.If your dog is on a bird,hide downwind of the brush,and don't move.That bird will probably give you a good passing shot.Wear camo,and stay right on the edge.
I like this Goose….most of your threads are informative!!!!

I used the wind to win a field trial once. After watching guy after guy hunt the field with the wind in the back. I took off around the field and came in downwind. Wam bam done and won by a long shot. Even after everyone watched me do it, no one else did. Weird..

My experience has been the opposite. When it's windy birds are skittish and prone to fly way out in front of you.

If they see you coming they try to circle back on the ground and flush out behind you (with the wind) usually. That's been my experience. If you have to hunt with the wind, good luck.

Typically birds do not like to run or fly into a strong wind. And by windy I mean 20mph or 30-40mph gusts. A nice light 10-15mph wind makes hunting good, they dont see/hear you coming as easily.

If they see you coming they try to circle back on the ground and flush out behind you (with the wind) usually. That's been my experience. If you have to hunt with the wind, good luck.

Typically birds do not like to run or fly into a strong wind. And by windy I mean 20mph or 30-40mph gusts. A nice light 10-15mph wind makes hunting good, they dont see/hear you coming as easily.
If you have the right type of terrain, strong wind can be your friend.You have to have thousands of hours in the field,to know how to read wind.

I try to hunt into the wind if possible or at least cross wind. I think birds are more flighty in the wind especially if they see one flush then they all start to flush ahead. I also think in the high winds 20 plus scenting is more difficult for the point dogs but if/when they do point it is productive. Have to have patience if they do flush into the strong wind otherwise you dust the bird.

What are we doing here Goose, flying kites?

I'm good not hunting in those strong gusty winds. I'll wait until I get a day when the wind is more manageable.

I try to hunt into the wind if possible or at least cross wind. I think birds are more flighty in the wind especially if they see one flush then they all start to flush ahead. I also think in the high winds 20 plus scenting is more difficult for the point dogs but if/when they do point it is productive. Have to have patience if they do flush into the strong wind otherwise you dust the bird.
You have to know when to run,and when to hide.That is the key.This is a lab thing.Read your dog, and the terrain.

What are we doing here Goose, flying kites?

I'm good not hunting in those strong gusty winds. I'll wait until I get a day when the wind is more manageable.
What I'm saying is, wind is your friend. Shoot a heavy 12. Need a good dog.

The part about wearing camo is a no go for me too. I am required to wear at least one article of blaze orange, and more when a deer firearms season is open.

head pounding wall
You have to know when to run,and when to hide.That is the key.This is a lab thing.Read your dog, and the terrain.
Hmmm reading your dog interesting concept, will have to pay better attention.....🤯

If you have the right type of terrain, strong wind can be your friend.You have to have thousands of hours in the field,to know how to read wind.

Would take 8 years of hunting 8 hours a day for 30 days per season to get thousands of hours. And all those days have to be in the extreme wind. 😉

A really strong wind can hold them from my experience. Also really concentrates birds into specific area. Pheasants always fly with the wind if it is strong and just like goose said that can give you a major advantage. I only hunt chukar on windy days. They hold extra tight. If you are working into the wind that is

The part about wearing camo is a no go for me too. I am required to wear at least one article of blaze orange, and more when a deer firearms season is open.
I agree bird hunting in camo is not needed they are most likely to hear you coming when they flush and not see you regardless what you wear.

Back