Using flushers with Pointers

Titan,

That must be a French Brittany?

Don't worry about hunting your Lab with pointing breeds as long as it's okay with your hunting partners. I have 2 Brittanys and often hunt with other non-pointing dogs (Labs & Springers). We are usually spread out enough that it's not a issue. And if another dog does come in and bust a point on one of my dogs I don't worry about it. I don't even recall if it's happened, but if it did that's just the chance I take.

But some hunters can be pretty particular. A few years ago a guy with some Brittanys wouldn't hunt with me because one of my dogs didn't back. That's fine, he can hunt by himself. I don't need a hunting buddy like that anyway.

Last edited:
Just go hunting. I hunt with a french brittany and 2 labs alot. The brittany ranges farther out the labs hunt in close. Really isn't any problem. Sometimes the labs will flush birds that the brittany has pointed but I don't see that hurting anything.

If you spread out there should be no problem, but if you hunt close it wont take long for the flushing dogs to figure out that when the pointer freezes that there is a bird there and run in and steal his bird.

I hunt my weim with a golden retriever and we don't have too much problem. The weim is pretty young so I was concerned about it at first but we keep them far enough apart.
So far the only problem we have is that the golden is a bird HOG and if it goes down its his.

Blueweim,

I possible, I would have the owner of the Golden keep his dog off any downed birds that you shoot over your Weim. Since your dog is young he needs the work on retrieving birds shot over him. If the golden rushes in on those birds it's sending your Weim the wrong message.

Blueweim,

I possible, I would have the owner of the Golden keep his dog off any downed birds that you shoot over your Weim. Since your dog is young he needs the work on retrieving birds shot over him. If the golden rushes in on those birds it's sending your Weim the wrong message.

:10sign: :thumbsup:

Blueweim,

I totally agree. We are going out this weekend and he will have an e-collar on that dog so it listens a little better.

I had this same situation this fall. My friend just got a Wirehair pup last year and this was her first season. He was hesitant when we went out at the beginning of the year to have my labs along. That was fine, he wanted to make sure his dog was pointing hard which I understand completely. Half way through the season we hunted them together with no problem. I can't recall a bird that my dogs busted the point on. They kind of covered different ground.

When we are hunting wild birds in SD we will run my Goldens with my nephews GSP and Weim. No real problems sometimes a rather comical competition for the retrieves. They are usually covering different ground and we usually choose opposite sides of the slough to create distance. Now if we are forced to hunt pen birds here in Ohio, we do not run them together just because of the lack of birds and the quality of how the birds are placed(ie to close together, set in a straight line). The dogs do cross each others paths and do not seem to have issues. If I see that his dogs are getting birdy I will try and redirect mine away and he the same.

Back