USFWS Easement Case in SD

I know what commodity prices are and I applaud your attitude towards conservation and farming. I just see grass continuing to be broke up to grow 2.5 dollar corn. I hear all the time that guys need to farm every inch to feed the world. I know its crap. This is just the first time I have heard it.

Yes feeding the world is thought from Monsanto and other ag corporations to convince farmers that we need to buy their products even if we are losing money doing it.

...I just see grass continuing to be broke up to grow 2.5 dollar corn. I hear all the time that guys need to farm every inch to feed the world...

It may be that the grass is being broke up because land prices have shot up and every square inch gets farmed to help make the payment on the land.

Last edited:
I agree with this as well. Don't forget the private land were hunters have access as well and school land too. I am not familiar with WI at all so correct me if I am wrong Tilkut. SD has what I think is a lot of land in government ownership already. Our public land is good stuff and its quality as well. I shoot pheasants on public land throughout the entire season. Maybe WI does not have that type of public land and more ownership in that part of the US would be a good thing. The federal government already has difficulties managing what they have. More land in government ownership is not the answer. Maybe they need to have some sort of "No net Gain of federal land".

We have a few different parcels of public land in my area. None hold a population of wild pheasants. Most have a severe problem with some species or another. Canary grass, giant ragweed, etc..... with huge areas becoming mono-cultures.
Had a program in our state years ago to re-stablish wild Mongolian pheasants. Seems to have petered out. I’m not looking for federal management. It’s time to break the mold on what we have done in the past. Put money aside to properly manage. Drive management with local control.

It may be that the grass is being broke up because land prices have shot up and every square inch gets farmed to help make the payment on the land.

Land Prices are falling due to the low commodity prices in the Dakotas.

Here's an interesting study from SDSU analyzing farmland px trends since the early 90's. Interesting to note that cropland prices have nearly doubled since 2011 in many parts of SD, and the primary reason for buying land was expansion of current operation, the primary reason for selling cropland was not low commodity prices, rather retirement. Although one could lead to the other.

https://igrow.org/up/resources/07-3004-2016.pdf

Yeah, prices are dropping now which actually increases the squeeze on the farmer/rancher. The Banks holding the notes on land that was bought when it was high now want more collateral on the loan. Puts more paid off land at risk and the banks get the hook in deeper.

The note on the high priced land still has to be paid and as much of it as possible is going to be put into production when it cost $4000-$5000 an acre.

In my opinion.

Yeah, prices are dropping now which actually increases the squeeze on the farmer/rancher. The Banks holding the notes on land that was bought when it was high now want more collateral on the loan. Puts more paid off land at risk and the banks get the hook in deeper.

The note on the high priced land still has to be paid and as much of it as possible is going to be put into production when it cost $4000-$5000 an acre.

In my opinion.

Lenders learned their lesson about collateral after the farm crisis in the 1980's. In the mid 1990's my dad wanted to buy a 160 acres farm across the road from his farm. All my dad's farmland was paid off free and clear. The bank required my dad to to put all his assets up for collateral for a loan to buy this 160 acres. My dad did not buy this farm because did not like the those terms about putting all his assets up for collateral.
In MN the last few years there has been more farmland sold to settle estates.

Last edited:
Back