Upland strap vest you can load birds in

I love my Filson vest. It is the olderhave the same vest version so it might be a challenge to find. It has lots of room for shells, collar controller, and birds get pushed in through side vents. I also carry a small water bottle for the pup. I also carry a med kit in the rear zippered pocket.

I have that vest as well, tad heavy but fantastic for loading birds, shell loops in pockets. Waist strap to support birds.
Unfortunately I think they quit making it. When I bought mine several years ago they were hard to find.

I’ve got a Badlands vest which is great BUT…have to take it off to pocket birds…pain in the ass. Any suggestions? If you can’t pocket birds with ease don’t mention it.

Filson strap vest. Easy reach to bag birds.

I have that vest as well, tad heavy but fantastic for loading birds, shell loops in pockets. Waist strap to support birds.
Unfortunately I think they quit making it. When I bought mine several years ago they were hard to find.
They discontinued it a number of years ago. I have put a lot of miles on mine.

I had to send my Filson vest back last year as it was falling apart in many places. After a bit of back and forth, they repaired it very nicely. I agree it’s a bit heavy, but works very well for me.

Much appreciated, I might pull the trigger as any water I carry in my current vest is in the game bag.

I bet I am wearing the same vest as you. Old cabelas with the two front pockets and a black belly strap?

I bought a water bottle holder and clipped it to the left front strap. Very comfortable and holds a 32oz gatorade bottle. I am going to upgrade to a vest with more pockets next season, i say that every year but really am going to pull the trigger this time.

I bet I am wearing the same vest as you. Old cabelas with the two front pockets and a black belly strap?

I bought a water bottle holder and clipped it to the left front strap. Very comfortable and holds a 32oz gatorade bottle. I am going to upgrade to a vest with more pockets next season, i say that every year but really am going to pull the trigger this time.
20191113_120049.jpg
Here is pic of mine, guessing it is the same one.

The things that I look for in a strap vest is a good waist belt, adequate pockets to carry first aid equipment, trapping snare shears, etc, thin shoulder straps that don’t interfere with gun mounts, a way to carry my dog electronics without having them in a pocket, a way to carry water supported on my hips not on my back and a game bag that I can access and isn’t too small for 3-4 roosters.
I’ve tried most of the older strap vests and technical strap vests out there:
Mother- the original technical strap vest and it was a good one but long out of business
Badlands- Didn’t like the way it fit or the game bag
Tenzing BV-16- It was okay but not ideal
Bucks Bag Chukar Vest- Liked it but finally wore it out, new one I ordered wasn’t the same vest. Great pockets for electronics.
Scheels Technical Vest- okay but not set up for electronics at all.
Cabelas Technical Strap Vest from years ago- never fit right
Camelback Bird Vest from years ago- wasn’t comfortable and couldn’t get birds in it.
Cabelas Upland pro- cheaply made but light so my wife took it
Pella and Browning Bird n Lite, okay but not real durable and didn’t ride well when game bag was fill. No great place for electronics.
Quilomene San Carlos - great for short hops but not great for all day
Chief Upland - Bought the original, didn’t fit right and then bought the XL and it was too big. Medium might be ok but I’m done with them.
Q5 Rimfire- nice but not as good as a WingWorks.
Roger’s Toughman- bought one but haven’t tried it yet.
WingWorks- The one I keep coming back too and the only one I used this year. A bit heavy when loaded but will still be in good shape when I’m dead!
I haven’t tried or even seen Pyke, Huntredi, Marsupial or Final Rise and probably won’t since I’m on the twilight of my hunting career.

I bought a Final Rise last year and used it for the first time this year. It replaced a Pella that I had to take off to put birds in the bag, put water bottles back etc., I was tired of the on/off in the field.

I really like the Final Rise vest. I can access my water bottles and put birds in the back without a problem. Very comfortable. It was expensive but worth it IMO. I just added a rear accessory pocket to mine to give me some additional room for first aid kit, wire cutters etc.,

Attachments

• 20240112_164001.jpeg
    20240112_164001.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Check out High Plains Gear vest. I really like mine and it is light, comfortable, looks and feels durable. Developed by a bird hunter, American made, and molle system. I put two water bottle holders on mine and a small 8” x 5” molle pouch on the back of the game bag which holds my keys, license/wallet, wire cutters…i also have bad shoulders and the sides of the game bag are sort of rigid which makes putting birds in a real breeze.

I have the marsupial with the small bird bag . Love the vest but after the first bird you can’t load it with it on. They’ve improved the small bag this year and sounds like it’s going to be easier to load. I probably will replace my bag with the new small bag. They also have a large upland bag that I’m sure is a breeze to load and holds more gear.
Besides the small bag the other complaint I’ve heard with marsupial is that the padded shoulder harness interferes with some people’s gun mount. It doesn’t bother me but they now have the option of a non padded harness.
I went back and forth between marsupial and final rise all summer. Marsupial is first rate and I’m sure you’d be happy with it or final rise.

I bought a final rise at the start of the season as well. I really wanted a wing works and waited a couple years but couldn't get one.

Overall it is a great vest and I used it all season. The weight bearing belt is great. It is easy to load birds into and has a decent amount of space and pockets. It is made in the USA and well made.

I wish it had a larger pocket for a larger water bladder. The dog water bottles are champion brand and are useable but leak slightly when they end up on their side. Otherwise a great product.

I bought a final rise at the start of the season as well. I really wanted a wing works and waited a couple years but couldn't get one.

Overall it is a great vest and I used it all season. The weight bearing belt is great. It is easy to load birds into and has a decent amount of space and pockets. It is made in the USA and well made.

I wish it had a larger pocket for a larger water bladder. The dog water bottles are champion brand and are useable but leak slightly when they end up on their side. Otherwise a great product.
Academy has great water bottles that don't leak. I'm not sure when Final Rise changed their bottles, but the old ones were great.

My green with orange top Gatorade bottles do not leak. I even toss them in my upland bin on their side (full) and they don't leak. They are like $6

+1 for the Gatorade bottles. Don't have to fumble with lids when having gloves and I find the flow is easiest to control.

It can leak if you lay it down and squish it, but for the most part I have no problems.

If you are still undecided, it would be worth the price of admission to pheasant fest to go and look. You could try on all of the current make/models within an hour or two. Pick a couple of favorites and try them on again. Typically you will see them on sale there.
Between me and my hunting buddies, none of us wear the same vest. Your needs and fitting are unique to you.

I have the marsupial with the small bird bag . Love the vest but after the first bird you can’t load it with it on. They’ve improved the small bag this year and sounds like it’s going to be easier to load. I probably will replace my bag with the new small bag. They also have a large upland bag that I’m sure is a breeze to load and holds more gear.
Besides the small bag the other complaint I’ve heard with marsupial is that the padded shoulder harness interferes with some people’s gun mount. It doesn’t bother me but they now have the option of a non padded harness.
I went back and forth between marsupial and final rise all summer. Marsupial is first rate and I’m sure you’d be happy with it or final rise.
Im getting a marsupial this off season, is the platform the same on the large and small except for bird bag size??

Im getting a marsupial this off season, is the platform the same on the large and small except for bird bag size??
The large has load lifters though I guess the small comes with them now too.You can spec out the rest of it. I got a large belt and offset my bird bag to my left side so I can load it easier. On that side put a chief shell pocket and my bottle holder up front. And the right side is a small double zipper marsupial bag up front and two bottle holders in the back for the dogs. Which is probably over kill. I found out later the bird bag will hold a Nalgene bottle upright. But I just put a few quail loads in my back bottle during pheasant season

Back