Upland hunting coat

jbg1219

Looking for a late season solution, normally I layer up and wear a blaze hoodie and my strap vest, but when it gets cold out, and hopefully snowing, what do you guys wear for a winter waterproof coat. I would like lightweight, warm, windbreaking, and not too bulky. I have waterfowl gear that is pretty bulky for would be too warm for when walking behind the dog, I have a closet full of clothing and jackets for hunting and fishing, but somehow not a good solution to what I am needing. Waterproof is key. I have a great woolrich upland jacket that is very warm until it rains or I am out in a good snow. Any of you have a good solution?

I wear a jacket from Cabela's. Have had it for awhile, 10 years maybe now? It's the only jacket I wear hunting, even in the single digits. I just layer with it, depending on temps I'm wearing just that and a long sleeve, or if it's cold I'll wear a couple merino wool long sleeves and a merino wool vest underneath. Never had an issue keeping my core warm with it.

I wear an LL Bean coat, it is waxed canvas, it has the blaze orange shoulders (they likely have a non-orange version if you would want that), a great one front entrance game bag that will hold more than a limit of roosters. It has plenty of pockets and a shear lining material. I usually just wear a long sleeve thermal type of shirt under it with an additional shirt, which varies, depending on the temps. If you want to stir-up the birds in single-digit temps or lower, you might wear a hoodie under it. I control my comfort in the field by opening or closing the front buttons. If the temps are in the 40s I have a Cabela's coat that isn't water/wind resistant and I do have a vest I would wear for warmer weather, but I seldom hunt in those kind of temps. Columbia makes/made a nice bulkier hunting coat, not sure if it was water/wind proof, my buddy has that one.

I've got the LL BEan Waxed but for really cold it isn't good IMO.

I use some medium weight, cheap, thing I bought somewhere, like a thinner hooded parka that is waterproof (ish). I think it cost me $30-40. Not greta through briars but if I'm doing that I'm using the Bean and working harder. For pheasants where I hunt usually grass and not much thorny stuff to worry about taller than waist high. So it works.

Not sure if I got it at Costco, Kohl's, Walmart but they all carry something like it.

Are you using the proper base layer? Something that wicks away your sweat but also provides a good initial layer of insultation? I've literally never worn a jacket while pheasant hunting. Once you start walking around, you start sweating. Even down to below zero temps.

Hunting birds here you will go thru a fair bit of thorns and briars. I use a Dan’s Hunting Gear jacket. Windproof, waterproof, briar proof. It’s legit. Check out their site https://danshuntinggear.com/category-coats-shirts.html
Got a lot to choose from and it’s tuff gear made in Ohio family owned. Side note I seen Filson outlet running a sale and has waxed canvas jacket for like $57, sounds too good to be true but…

Last edited:
Layering is key. My outer shell in the bad stuff is the Beretta GTX jacket. It has never let me down in the wet/snow/blowing stuff. I have also worn my old Filson Tin Cloth waterfowl jacket. It is just too heavy and massive for upland work. If it is not too bad I will wear my older version Cabela's Instinct jacket. It has stayed pretty sealed. I do spray it a couple times a year with waterproofing stuff.. just because.

Now, the minute Kuiu builds one of their hunting/rain jackets in blaze orange, they are getting my money! Their new brush pants are incredible.

Cabela's Instinct clothing is pretty good.....I wear the Instinct Prairie Runner JACKET. This is a wind proof, water resistant, lined, lightweight jacket. It allows for great movement, not bulky.....you hardly know you have it on. I hunted with it in single digits with just the Instinct long sleeve t-shirt under it and been very comfortable.
They also make a Instinct Praire Runner COAT, which is bit bulkier as it has game pouch, etc built in. I wear a game pack so the jacket is what I went with. I also have the pants too.
Both pants and jacket have held up well through 4 years of wear in both Wisconsin and South Dakota thickets, brush, cattails, briars, pines and cold weather. So much so that I bought a second piece of each so that if and when these wear out, I have a replacement. I've been that impressed with them.

I try to leave the truck at the start of every hunt kinda cold. If Im comfortable at the beginning, I am guaranteed to be a sweaty mess by the time I return. If I were you, I would do a search for “softshell jacket” and go from there. I bought a metino wool long sleeve shirt, but it hasnt been cold enough to wear it yet this year. I always wear a fake under armour style shirt as my first layer to wick moisture. Cotton and bulk are the enemy.
I have a Patagonia brand softshell windproof jacket I found on a garage sale that I use as my outer layer when it’s 25 or so and below.

I try to leave the truck at the start of every hunt kinda cold. If Im comfortable at the beginning, I am guaranteed to be a sweaty mess by the time I return. If I were you, I would do a search for “softshell jacket” and go from there. I bought a metino wool long sleeve shirt, but it hasnt been cold enough to wear it yet this year. I always wear a fake under armour style shirt as my first layer to wick moisture. Cotton and bulk are the enemy.
I have a Patagonia brand softshell windproof jacket I found on a garage sale that I use as my outer layer when it’s 25 or so and below.
Merino wool baselayer is also my best tip. Very comfortable and way better wicking than any synthetic I've tried. Although underarmour was my go to for years before.

Recently found a slightly used Realtree Blaze Upland Coat that is GoreTex. Really like it. Well made with lots of pockets and interior game bag that front loads. Great in cold wet nasty weather.

ll bean is a good one. Light and waterproof. But for quail, which don't bleed much I've been making my own. Had an old but good windbreaker with a hood that rolls up, waterproof. Had it for years but didn't wear it much. So cut a couple slits in the liner and stitched around them. Got a Carhart rain coat I took to a seamstress and had her sew a pouch inside the back also, but outgrew it:confused:

I do not wear a coat because they are too restricting for me when shooting. When its really cold I wear underarmor tight constriction base layer, then a polar fleece base layer, then an orange hoodie, then an orange poofy vest (OLD Remington brand), then my upland strap vest over that. Core stays TOASTY which is the most important part. Beanie to keep heat in the head, and good gloves to keep the hands working.

FREE TO A GOOD HOME. LL Bean Hunting jacket has been hiding in the back of my hunting closet. Time it was used by a pheasant hunter that will take it to the field. It is Large Tall. It is at least 20 years old but maybe used 5 times if that. I will send it to IMG_0231.jpegsomeone that will appreciate the jacket and pass on some goodwill. Please message me and I will pick someone and send the jacket at my expense. Thanks.

Not sure I have ever worn a jacket bird hunting and that includes some subzero hunts. Above 20 and it is a base layer, heavy fleece shirt, and hunting vest. If it is below 20 or windy I wear an additional windproof fleece vest. I do wear a knit hat and that helps alot in the cold.

Back