Upland brush pants recommendation

I have tried a bunch of different brands of upland jeans with brush guards that are sew on. Most are ok, the current pair are WBS that I bought on sale. Although they say size 32 waist they are at least 38, thank god for belts. The brush guards started to come off on day one. The button hole is also screwed up...

I am looking for a recommendations.

For early season warmer days I wear Columbia upland brush pants ("Ptarmigan" I think.) They're very light. For the rest of the season L.L. Bean Upland Pro Briar pants. Very durable, articulated knee, made with stretch base fabric. Good luck finding something you like.

Last edited:
I have tried a bunch of different brands of upland jeans with brush guards that are sew on. Most are ok, the current pair are WBS that I bought on sale. Although they say size 32 waist they are at least 38, thank god for belts. The brush guards started to come off on day one. The button hole is also screwed up...

On a tip from another guide/hunter a couple of years ago—
Have started using DULUTH TRADING FIRE HOSE PANTS-
Several different weights including the lined models for colder weather
Wear like iron-comfortable
Only take one non-Duluth Trading type any more and that’s a gore-tex model
JMO
Only take one

Orvis Missouri Breaks

I have tried several different brands as well, but my favorite are Orvis Missouri Breaks pants. They are nothing fancy, but they fit true to size and are comfortable.

Several years ago I bought a pair of Gore-Tex pants and I consider them to be perfect. They block the wind and I never get wet. They do an excellent job with briars and such. Wish I could have had them 50 years ago.

Best pair for the money I found are the Columbia Briarshun. They don't make them anymore so you need to find them on a auction site. They fit true to size and the briar shedding material excellent. I hunt Missouri (NE and NC) and Kansas (NC and SC) and they'll turn anything.

On a tip from another guide/hunter a couple of years ago—
Have started using DULUTH TRADING FIRE HOSE PANTS-
Several different weights including the lined models for colder weather
Wear like iron-comfortable
Only take one non-Duluth Trading type any more and that’s a gore-tex model
JMO
Only take one

Ditto on the Duluths.

Back