Upland Boots

Labman

Hello

I'm looking at getting a good pair of upland boots from Cabelas. Have a couple gift cards there, so I'll be getting them from there. Looking to spend under $200 for sure, hopefully under $150. I want them to last, be waterproof, all that good stuff. Any ideas you could give me would be appreciated.

Irish Setter 9" Wingshooter boots

Anybody have these, if so, what do you think? They look really good, and get good reviews, but only 7 people have reviewed them.

Irish Setter 9" Wingshooter Boots

I would look at Cabela's Kangaroo leather upland boots myself. They have a couple of variations insulated/uninsulated.

I have the Irish Setter 400 gram thinsulate, Gortex, Kangaroo leather boots. They have been fantastic boots.

I didn't think the Irish Setter uplands were less then $150.00 though. You might be near the top of your limit but a very good boot.

Last edited:
The Irish Setter Wingshooter boots are $159.99. Minus $20 coupon and $25 dollar gift card, that would be a nice gift. They look like a nice boot, and get good reviews, but like I said before, only 7 reviews on cabelas site. Thanks onpoint....

I have a pair of Irish Setter upland boots that I've had for 5-6 years and they are still going strong. The are a combination leather/cordura and have a protected toe. I think Irish Setter makes some very good boots. Looking at a pair of Tamaracks myself right now.

I've never had much luck with boots. I had a pair of Irish Setters that were sold through Pheasants Forever about 9 years ago that were fantastic boots and lasted 5 seasons. They don't make that model anymore which is too bad because they were comfortable and kept my feet dry for along time. I guess there wasn't a big market for a $280 boot. My last 2 pairs, Irish Setters and Schnee's were big dissapointments. Both leaked water and started falling apart the first season. I'm going to keep looking until I can find a decent boot. I know somebody has to make one.

I like the Danner Pronghorns. I have read the reviews and they are hit and miss, But I have had great luck with them. Very comfortable out of the box.

A lot has to do with the kind of care that a owner puts into their boots. First off, NEVER use Mink Oil or other animal fat on your leather. It rots the stitching and weakens the area along the stitched leather. Only use a good Silicone waterproofing. If you farm, animal manure will destroy leather boots, stitching and some glues in the sole or the soles themselves. I had a pair of Rockies that the sole literally disintegrated from cow manure. Oil, gas and other chemicals can destroy your boots. My hunting boots are just that. Hunting boots and only hunting boots. Don't leave them wet for days on end. You need to dry them every night. Silicone them as needed and they will treat you right almost always, if they are quality made in the first place.

I have had a pair of the Danner Covey Upland boots for 5 years. They are light, warm and waterproof and have held up very well. The soles are designed to shed mud and therefore are not too good in snow on a steep slope. You will end up on your behind! If you hunt relatively flat or rolling land with some mud or light snow, I like the Danner Covey. I also have had a pair of Irish Setter Elk Trackers for the past 8 seasons and they are like new. Warm, waterproof and indestructable. They have a much more aggressive tread, but are heavy and less suited for upland hunting.

Good luck on your search!

If you do a search there have been several threads on what boot to buy. They might provide some additional information.

Love Wingshooters

I currently have 3 pairs of the Wingshooters in the rotation and another 2 pairs of Elk Trackers from Irish Setter for when the snow is on the ground. The only drawback I could find with the Wingshooters is that the prairie-bob sole is not aggressive enough when the snow is on the ground. Little to no snow I go with the wingshooters--ground covered to a bunch of snow I wear the Elk Trackers.

I have way too many but I buy another pair every time I get lucky enough to find them for less than $100.00.

Several years ago I switched from hunting boots to hiking style boots.

Hiking boots are waterproof, much lighter and seem to have a superior boot construction that cradles the foot - better than hunting type boots. I wear gaiters to keep seeds and debris from entering the top of the boot ,as they are lower that standard hunters.

I bought Vasque hikers and they worked very well, although the waterproofing gave out after about 5 years and REI took them back as an exchange.

SD hunter...

Myself, like many others, have not had a good experience with the Danners Pronghorns. I bought a pair earlier this year. Very comfortable. But they leak like a sieve and the stitching is letting loose on the top.

Send them back to Danner. I had a different pair several years ago that leaked. I sent them back and they replaced them with a new pair. Good customer service back then.

I would send them back if Danner had a pair of boots I liked, but they don't. Seems most of their boots are getting poor reviews. Think I'll go back to Irish Setters, never had a problem with them.

Cabelas Boots

I really like the Cabelas Kangaroo Upland Goretex boots I have. They are the second pair I've owned. I had trouble with the welting on the toe wearing through but I figured out that if you coat the Welt with Krazy Glue it wears like iron.

I have two seasons on my current pair and I renewed the Krazy Glue coating this season and have had no trouble. They have a relatively smooth sole which works okay in the dry and in the wet but not so well in the snow.

When it is snowy I use an old set of Rocky boots I won at a NWTF Banquet ten years ago.

I have a pair of Danner Sharptails, similar to the pronghorn. I would not recommend them. I got them this year, stitching is letting loose, and leak like no other boot I have ever had. I have always had Browning Boots and never had a problem with them leaking. I have yet to come home hunting after a day with dry boots in these Danners. They are very comfortable, but I can't stand having wet boots.

Back