Upland bird population will never fully rebound.

I hate to say it but if everyone in Kansas is just going to say "PF hasn't done anything for me, I'm not donating anymore" then nothing will improve. MN has probably the most PF chapters and members (if not most, then 2nd place) and I rarely see a "PF field". I know of some marked with wooden signs but most of those fields have been in place for 20+ years. I don't think PF marks their fields anymore, and what usually happens in MN is PF raises money, buys a tract of land, improves it, and then sells it to the MN DNR where it becomes a WMA. You usually have to dig to find out if the WMA you are hunting was due to PF intervention.

PF is not in the business of owning land anymore, at least not for years. They want to work with that state in obtaining a piece of property, improve it and then turn it over to the state.

I see alot of hands being thrown up about PF on the various KS threads, and sadly, who else is going to improve the situation if not for PF? I fully support grass roots happening in KS but let's face it, PF has the "pull" it needs to make things happen. So either they aren't getting the funds raised in KS to make a dent or the KS legislature is not working with them. Or both.

In regards to putting the KS legislature/farmers etc "on blast", that tactic likely will not work. If anything, PF needs to ass kiss the politicians or else why would they work with PF? I noticed that when the last Secretary of the Interior was named. PF put an article out gushing over Ryan Zinke, who had a flawed track record. Why would they gush over him publicly? Because I'm sure if they made an article that said "f*** that guy" what do you think he's going to do? Work with them? Absolutely not. It's a complicated situation and one that is probably not going to improve soon unfortunately.

PF doesnt do squat in KS - when you dive into their financials you can see it's all smoke and mirrors.

One of my dear friends manages Thousands and thousands of acres for a # of wealthy folks that care about conservation but own the land for wealth preservation and of course developing it long term and that includes putting in sustainable practices that are good for wildlife. His dealings with PF and the clowns that run the show 1000% cement the fact they are a sham.

As someone else (Hunter94 maybe) _ DU and some other orgs have done for for public hunters and pheasants than PF has ever dreamt of. All you need to do is spend a little time researching where their money goes, where land is open to the public and where money is spent on public access properties for habitat improvement to see it's all about doing those things around their HQ -- as I've said before - we all know MN is on everyone's bucket list as a state to pheasant hunt :ROFLMAO:🙄

PF doesnt do squat in KS - when you dive into their financials you can see it's all smoke and mirrors.

One of my dear friends manages Thousands and thousands of acres for a # of wealthy folks that care about conservation but own the land for wealth preservation and of course developing it long term and that includes putting in sustainable practices that are good for wildlife. His dealings with PF and the clowns that run the show 1000% cement the fact they are a sham.

As someone else (Hunter94 maybe) _ DU and some other orgs have done for for public hunters and pheasants than PF has ever dreamt of. All you need to do is spend a little time researching where their money goes, where land is open to the public and where money is spent on public access properties for habitat improvement to see it's all about doing those things around their HQ -- as I've said before - we all know MN is on everyone's bucket list as a state to pheasant hunt :ROFLMAO:🙄
I think MN and Kansas were really close in terms of roosters harvested last year.

I think MN and Kansas were really close in terms of roosters harvested last year.

I don't think so, but I could be surprised. I don't know how many birds were killed in MN last year, but it's generally nowhere near Kansas, even in down years. The areas I hunt in MN were noticeably down last year, but there are certainly fewer hunters and the limit is 3 not 4. Still, usually Kansas is 1.5 or 2 times higher than Minnesota in its worst years, in terms of harvest. Obiously, total harvest is not the same thing as the relative quality of hunting, and I love hunting in Minnesota. I hunt private in Kansas and public in Minnesota, but I've never seen anything like the amount of pheasants I've encountered pretty regularly in Kansas while hunting in Minnesota. YMMV.

Kansas killed 360,000 pheasant last year. I don't know the last time Minnesota was over 300,000, maybe the 2000s? But Kansas was killing 650,000 birds those years.

Last edited:
Actually you really are wrong. Corn is a much better food source for pheasants, far better than milo. Yes we had drought, but we always have drought. The drought in 2012 coincided with all the CRP expiring in 2010- 2011. Had that CRP remained, so would the birds. That drought didn't hamper the NW corner anything like it did in the rest of western KS but those birds disappeared. Drought or heavy rain, with habitat, birds thrive. Once people get that through their skull, then maybe we can do something to help maintain a healthy pheasant population. Blaming everything on the weather is ridiculous. It isn't mother nature decimating the bird population, it is man himself.
I hunt private land in the northern Texas panhandle, and am blessed to have access through a close friend to a lot land that is the last strong hold in the region. But that being said it is still a shell of what it was pre 2012. Last year he had a large 1/2 section corn field that lost a sprinkler at a bad time and was abandon for the season. But what followed was the most pheasant we have seen in a decade. The corn was let to go to grain and filled with weeds which made habitat that was non disturbed for the year. With crp corners it was heaven. It was amazing how birds flourished in just one year with adequate cover and food. This is a habitat game and the birds are loosing.

I don't think so, but I could be surprised. I don't know how many birds were killed in MN last year, but it's generally nowhere near Kansas, even in down years. The areas I hunt in MN were noticeably down last year, but there are certainly fewer hunters and the limit is 3 not 4. Still, usually Kansas is 1.5 or 2 times higher than Minnesota in its worst years, in terms of harvest. Obiously, total harvest is not the same thing as the relative quality of hunting, and I love hunting in Minnesota. I hunt private in Kansas and public in Minnesota, but I've never seen anything like the amount of pheasants I've encountered pretty regularly in Kansas while hunting in Minnesota. YMMV.

Kansas killed 360,000 pheasant last year. I don't know the last time Minnesota was over 300,000, maybe the 2000s? But Kansas was killing 650,000 birds those years.
Yeah you're right, they were not really close in roosters harvested, but they were a lot closer than years past. 2020 Kansas estimate was 295,000 and MN was at 190,000. I didn't see Kansas data for 2021 on their state website. I talked to MN DNR wildlife office and the 2021 harvest numbers will be out mid-september. I would like to hunt Kansas someday but doubt I ever will. To do that I'd have to leave MN and bypass Iowa(375,000 bagged), Nebraska(136,000 bagged), and South Dakota. I know this doesn't hurt anybody's feelings from Kansas, because non-resident hunters are a turnoff for most Kansans on this board. Even though I'll probably never swing a shotgun in the sunflower state, I got my fingers crossed for all the hunters down there, that things turn around for the better.

Here is a U-tube video that features a couple new properties that are public hunting access...they are in Iowa, sorry KS fellas. Not in my backyard but I am loving these ANYWHERE! It takes a pile of support to make these happen, many folks think this is easy to pull-off, that might be the case with a million dollar donation, but those don't come around often. These projects are not happening with your $35 annual membership dues, that all goes to the corporate office, you need to donate (spend money) at the chapter banquits. Get in the raffles (might win a gun), buy something on the auction, always seems to be something you like there. I have a house full of wildlife prints hanging up, stashed behind couchs and in closets! I have a cool plasma cut PF fire ring in the backyard, a big cast iron "pig" piggy bank...still can't believe I wasn't out-bid by a hog farmer on that one! Becoming a sponsor on any of the levels the chapter offers is a great way to show and give your support. Many people just aren't into pheasants enough to offer any financial support or can't afford to help with the price of shells now...if this is you, you sure don't need to bash them.

Take a peek, a couple of nice areas now open to the public....everyone can hunt here! Might not be much for signage, but enough to find it.

I don't know how many birds were killed in MN last year, but it's generally nowhere near Kansas, even in down years. The areas I hunt in MN were noticeably down last year, but there are certainly fewer hunters and the limit is 3 not 4. Still, usually Kansas is 1.5 or 2 times higher than Minnesota in its worst years, in terms of harvest.
Something to keep in mind is the total area that is "huntable" too when comparing states. Half of Minnesota is not considered pheasant habitat because its pretty much heavy timber. Most everything north and east of Interstate 94 is excluded. That's grouse country. Whereas pretty much all of Kansas is considered suitable pheasant habitat, relatively speaking.

And let's just all be honest here. This thread may be focused on the state of Kansas, but overall, you could substitute just about any state in the title.

Something to keep in mind is the total area that is "huntable" too when comparing states. Half of Minnesota is not considered pheasant habitat because its pretty much heavy timber. Most everything north and east of Interstate 94 is excluded. That's grouse country. Whereas pretty much all of Kansas is considered suitable pheasant habitat, relatively speaking.

And let's just all be honest here. This thread may be focused on the state of Kansas, but overall, you could substitute just about any state in the title.
Not really only about 60-70 percent of Kansas has traditionally been considered pheasant range. And probably lower now. .

Is that right? I thought it was pretty much all prairie. Good to know.
Mostly prairie but for some reason the flint hills have never had any except for a few on the western fringe. And there’s a few in the ne corner. But mostly its Wichita to Salina and west

In regards to numbers of birds, Kansas also appears to sell alot more licenses than in MN. And like Gim mentioned, probably only 30% of MN would be what I consider "core" pheasant territory. Ruffed grouse is generally king in MN and most people spend their time chasing them around versus chasing roosters here. If MN had a larger land mass of pheasant territory, I would anticipate MN would be in the running of KS/Iowa levels for harvest

Not really only about 60-70 percent of Kansas has traditionally been considered pheasant range. And probably lower now. .
That’s about right. Traditionally about Salina west and north and south to Oklahoma and Nebraska. North of Topeka was fair at one point but that is about gone. Although I nearly hit a Huge Rooster graveling a couple weeks ago east and north of Valley Falls. I drive that area a lot and hadn’t seen one in years.

That’s about right. Traditionally about Salina west and north and south to Oklahoma and Nebraska. North of Topeka was fair at one point but that is about gone. Although I nearly hit a Huge Rooster graveling a couple weeks ago east and north of Valley Falls. I drive that area a lot and hadn’t seen one in years.
I shot my very first rooster at Valley Falls, used to be plenty of birds around there.

I’ve killed a few roosters around Kaw lake over the years while quail hunting. Don’t see as many as I used to but back when the turkey hunting was great there, you’d hear them crowing all morning long.… early 2000s.

In regards to numbers of birds, Kansas also appears to sell alot more licenses than in MN. And like Gim mentioned, probably only 30% of MN would be what I consider "core" pheasant territory. Ruffed grouse is generally king in MN and most people spend their time chasing them around versus chasing roosters here. If MN had a larger land mass of pheasant territory, I would anticipate MN would be in the running of KS/Iowa levels for harvest
My take from reading these forums, and only having hunted MN. If I could only hunt for one week a year and had to pick between the two, I'd choose MN if it were public land only, and I'd choose Kansas if I had access to lots of private spots. I've read both on the internet and even in a book published probably a dozen years ago, deer leasing has severely limited private access in KS and really hurt upland opportunity for the average hunter. At least in MN you can usually get permission to hunt for pheasants as long as you ask after deer gun season ends. Most landowners don't care if you hunt after season, but when hunting rights are leased for cash, the land is usually off limits year round. Just my take.

I don't think I will hunt in Kansas anytime in the near future. If that was your intention, well played!

We will go down as one of the saddest wildlife stories in the history of our country. We were once a state full of hunting opportunities and beautiful (to me) land full of habitat and animals. We're quickly turning this state into a desert with a deer tower in every quarter section. Makes me want to add bourbon to my coffee just typing this.

We were quail hunting a buddies dads deer lease in chatauqua county in the late 80s early 90s and jumped a hen pheasant. That’s the farthest east I’ve ever seen one and the first I had ever heard of leasing.. To me it’s not about out of state hunting or the leasing. Although I hate the cameras and I despise the feeders. It’s about the cedars and the loss of habitat.
. I’m having a hard time figuring out where I’m going to hunt with any chance for success. The last 2 or 3 years is the first time I could ever say that. For now I’ll hunt more chickens and quail and probably jump a few ducks.
If someone asked where in the state for a slam dunk hunt , honestly I couldn’t tell them. I don’t want non residents here wasting their time. If you want to see how far we have fallen you don’t have to go farther then this forum. Look at all the Kansas guys surfing the South Dakota page. Just a few years ago the Kansas page was hoping.

Last edited:
Back