UPH Hunt

FCSpringer

Well tOlzen and I had a fun time on our first hunt togeather this weekend. I enjoyed his company and hunting with a UPH'er. We could BS ya and say we only got 4 birds because we never knew we could shoot 3 each now, but the sad truth is we should have had 6 in the first couple hrs, We may have ran into 7 or 8 roosters that had kevlar on. but we stuck it out and did OK. I got to see Bandit and T,O got to see Odie and lady. Well Odie did not get alot of action, he was 1/4ing hard in the first place we ran him, and just after getting our first bird, he ran into a Beaver stick, sharp pointed chewed off stick about 16" off the ground 2" diameter and solid, He hit it at full speed and came to a dead stop, let out a yelp and folded up in pain. I thought he was croaking for a bit. I think it took the wind ota him. but he got up in a few minutes and ran some but slower and favoring his leg, so we walked him back twards the car and finished out the day with Bandit and Lady. They both got in on some good bird action and were both at the end of the day pretty slow, as was I. they hunted hard. But we flushed somewhere around close to 30 or more birds, I lost count. So Here's to a great time,
:cheers: Thanks T,O and hope to do it again. FCS

PC050035.jpg

Last edited:
Super pic FC! Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you had a great time. Sorry bout the pup. Hope it is ok! Sure hope we get into them when we get back to Ks. Even if we don't, it will still be a great time. Congrats!:thumbsup:

Rod​

Congrats guys and thanks for sharing! Great friendships can and will be made through the site. It ain't easy finding a good hunting partner these days....

Sounds like fun and the pic made me smile cuz it looks like it was one of those press the button and scurry back behind the camera pics. :cheers:

Congrats FC, very nice pic. You did it again, made miss the hunting I had once upon a time......Bob

I'll take most of the blame for all those birds gettin' away from us. But hey, if I'd been able to shoot straight we wouldn't have gotten to enjoy walking the fields and working the dogs ALL DAY LONG! :p

I'd say a great time was had by all. Bandit and I laid on the couch all day Sunday. Neither of us could move.

I just made some Pheasant Poppy Seed Casserole with my 2 birds tonight. Tasty stuff.

Let's get out again sometime soon. Thanks again for setting it up! Great hunting spots, great dogs, great company. Tough to beat. :cheers:

I hope Odie is feeling better. Give him a treat for me!

Last edited:
SS you are right it was one of those photos off the car hood, I had more time then I thought, OH well:thumbsup: And DZ we were within a few miles from my place. I enjoy the comradery too, I hunt alone most of the time, One reason why I decided to trial, gives me more to do with people and the dogs. And TO you are welcome to hunt with me any time. And every one, I shot plenty of holes in the clouds and killed a couple trees my self.Odie is running full steam again today, I don't know how. But I won't run him there again. Lady and I are still on the couch.
:cheers:

Pheasant Poppyseed Casserole:

2 pheasants, boned and cubed
1/4 cup butter
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1.5 cups sour cream
2 sleeves Ritz crackers, crushed
1 cup wild rice (partially cooked, or it will be chewy)
1 can mushrooms
1 can water chestnuts
2 Tbsp poppy seeds

Crush Ritz crackers and brown in the butter. Layer 1/2 crackers on the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan. Top with cubed pheasant. Mix remaining ingredients together and pour over the pheasant. Top with the remaining crackers. Bake at 375 for 1.5 hours.

I have always wanted to do an Iowegan version of that. Unfortunatly, NICESHOT and PHEASANTADDICT never want to play.

cnggack and I got together on Nov. 29th to hunt for a few hours near Hendricks, MN. We had a good time and got a couple roosters. It's fun to meet new friends and fellow pheasant hunters. Uncle Buck and I are still trying to connect and FCSpringer and I also have talked about a hunt also.

Well tOlzen and I had a fun time on our first hunt togeather this weekend. I enjoyed his company and hunting with a UPH'er. We could BS ya and say we only got 4 birds because we never knew we could shoot 3 each now, but the sad truth is we should have had 6 in the first couple hrs, We may have ran into 7 or 8 roosters that had kevlar on. but we stuck it out and did OK. I got to see Bandit and T,O got to see Odie and lady. Well Odie did not get alot of action, he was 1/4ing hard in the first place we ran him, and just after getting our first bird, he ran into a Beaver stick, sharp pointed chewed off stick about 16" off the ground 2" diameter and solid, He hit it at full speed and came to a dead stop, let out a yelp and folded up in pain. I thought he was croaking for a bit. I think it took the wind ota him. but he got up in a few minutes and ran some but slower and favoring his leg, so we walked him back twards the car and finished out the day with Bandit and Lady. They both got in on some good bird action and were both at the end of the day pretty slow, as was I. they hunted hard. But we flushed somewhere around close to 30 or more birds, I lost count. So Here's to a great time,
:cheers: Thanks T,O and hope to do it again. FCS

PC050035.jpg

You used to be alot skinnier than you are now.

Don't worry, I have the same problem, maybe worse:D

Glad you had a successful day. I took out a few friends and my son on Sunday and we got 8 birds from 9:30 - 12:30 and then I walked a ditch with Zack and we saw over 40 birds flush at once.

You used to be alot skinnier than you are now.

Don't worry, I have the same problem, maybe worse:D

Glad you had a successful day. I took out a few friends and my son on Sunday and we got 8 birds from 9:30 - 12:30 and then I walked a ditch with Zack and we saw over 40 birds flush at once.

Who pulled you out from under the rock and dusted you off? Where ya been, thought you moved to arizona or somthing:D Glad you had a good time too. I will be down for x-mass to snag a few of those southerner's PS thats just my clothes.

Who pulled you out from under the rock and dusted you off? Where ya been, thought you moved to arizona or somthing:D Glad you had a good time too. I will be down for x-mass to snag a few of those southerner's PS thats just my clothes.

Been a long year since the fire.Life has changed yadda yadda.

I'll try to leave a few for you.

Been a long year since the fire.Life has changed yadda yadda.

I'll try to leave a few for you.
Maybe if it works out we can hook up for a couple hrs. to do some flushing and shooting that weekend. Plans are up in the air for the most part, but I plan on coming down right now. How far from the old stompin grounds are you?

Out again

Well tOlzen, and I hooked up for another UPH get togeather today, I forgot the camera so the lone dog is all we get unless t O puts a pic up, Long hard day and we managed some more birds, and both went home with a couple to stew up. River got her stitches out and even got a rooster herself at the end of the day. Great time again.:thumbsup:

PC120051.jpg

This is the only picture I got. It's a shot of Bandit rooting a cripple out from where it had buried itself in the grass.

As always, a good time with FCSpringer. Dog and owner were both exhausted!

Good job on the pics. Good dogs and birds to.:coolpics:

Back