Upcoming season goals

gsppurist

I sit here perusing the forums for my upland hunting fix. I was wondering what other people had plan for the upcoming season.

Each November I head to North Dakota, and this year is no exception. Although I will be only hunting 4 days instead of 7 because I have the opportunity to go Sage Grouse hunting in Eastern Montana for the first time.

Planning several local hunts after native birds also as my schedule allows.

The pics were from last month on a local trip with my family to see my dog's baby momma and pups.

Last edited:
I may go back to NoDak as well (grew up there), even if I don't get a license I may just run my dogs while others hunt on odd weekends here and there.

Going back to Montana for 2 weeks like I did last season for birds,other than that I plan to hunt doves,pheasants,waterfowl locally,with maybe a ruffed grouse trip up north at some point. Fall turkey's are a maybe and deer a few days.

My main goal is to shoot 4 roosters over my 13 yo britt. She has always been my close dog. I rarely let her hunt alone and I regret that now. Mostly because my far dog is out of sight most of the time. Now I have a another closer working dog to pair with the runner. That pair will hunt two days, old dog one day.

More excited this year than for the last 3 or 4.

My goal is to shoot my first ruffed grouse and woodcock over my GSP. Ultimately, I want to get as many wild bird contacts (preferably grouse and woodcock) as possible for my young GSP. We are also planning a trip to Maine to help achieve this

Sounds like you have a great season ahead, GSP. What a great looking litter of pups.

Hope to start the pheasant season in October in SD. Thought entered my mind this morning of trying for some dusky grouse in CO come Sept. 1. Maybe head there after the KS dove opener. Hoping for an improved KS season which starts in Nov.

Last edited:
I would enjoy most any hunt. I have plenty of cool trips offered, like a Ptarmigan hunt in the high country. As some of you know I have had just a great 4 years with my back issues. Now fused on 2 levels and continue to struggle with doing much. So, all I want is to go out with the dogs and be able to watch them work and walk behind them for 3-4 hours and be able to drive home or back to the motel.... It's going to happen!!! Whether I make it out of the damn field or not!!! One thing is for sure, I will be thankful for every trip I get. Blue Grouse is my first one in Sept to give it a go...GSP love the pic!!! Everyone get out and take a young hunter!!! They may not appreciate it as much now, but when the get a bit older will cherish it!! Good times everyone!!:cheers:

I will get young Champ out as much as possible for his first hunting season. I'll also be planning two youth hunts and a veterans hunt. I would like to get out of state but I don't think that will happen. I'll be spending my time hunting in PA again this year and will try again for late season grouse.

I hope to hunt Doc as much as is productive for her this fall. We will start with dove over Labor Day weekend. My family is meeting at my house for an extended weekend of squirrel hunting followed by doves in the sunflowers. Then we are going out west on an antelope hunt. That will leave us in early October, at which point I plan on focusing on getting into some ducks. This fall will be the first fall I have chased ducks. The end of October will get me to my first pheasant season with my own dog. I am really looking forward to that. I will end the year hunting rabbits.

My goal is for Doc to really enjoy herself. I think if I accomplish that goal everything will take care of itself.

Just get out in wide open country a few times and see what's on the other side of the next hill. Collecting a meal in the process would be even better.
:cheers:

I know it won't be as good as last year. I have a Mule Deer Hunt in Montana which is in the middle of November. Kind of takes up a lot of time in prime time for both Pheasant hunting and Duck Hunting.
I still expect some Great hunts in the Iowa Uplands. Just remember it's Birds by Miles Walked put in the Miles and the Birds will come.

I found out this week I drew a mountain goat and cow moose tag, here in Montana. The bird dog is going to be disappointed, but hope to cross both of those species off the bucket list this fall!!! :cheers:

Back