Up at Camp!

We decided to change it up a bit since those roosters were giving us the slip and we headed up to camp to hunt some grouse!

The habitat up at camp is pretty good..we have some food and cover and the grouse seem to appreciate all the work that we do.

We flushed 10 woodcock..they were easy shots..probably just stopping by for a pit stop along the way on their long journey! We passed on them..I actually feel good just knowing they are there! The story might have been different if it was another day! It was very windy so the grouse were flushing wild and didn't present any shots..the cover was thick which didn't help!

We put up 5 grouse all individually and the last one decided to fly into an area I like to call the sanctuary..I deemed this little section of the property that when I was a kid because I wanted all the animals to have a safe place to go! I thought twice about going in after the grouse but just couldn't do it!

Last edited:
Here's the sanctuary..

We had a great time up at camp and were able to check on our deer stands and set a few things up for the season and even enjoy some food..food always tastes better at camp!

Nice post. It looks like a very nice area. Next time bring some steaks!

I'm hoping to chase some grouse the week of Thanksgiving. We'll see how that goes.

We've made a conscious effort to avoid some of our traditional Ringneck spots and take a different approach for a while for reasons some of you will understand.

We've done a TON of habitat work on the property and it has really paid off. The grouse were flushing before we could even get close and it was VERY windy, still nice to see and not the "depressing news" you read elsewhere. Like Hollow said the woodcock were bunched up and it's nice to see that they like all the work that has been done, I think they'll be on their way soon!

We also saw a real nice buck chasing a doe in line with Hollow's stand...lucky guy!:)

Last edited:
That's some great looking cover! :thumbsup:
I haven't made it out as often as I would like but still a good season.
My uncle has actually taken more pheasant than grouse but not as much as you would think.
Great Post,keep em coming!

AYE MATES,
Grand looking habitat. Looks like you folks have been doing some really nice work for the birds.:thumbsup:

Keep up the great work.

Cheers:cheers:,
Irishwhistler

AYE MATES,
Grand looking habitat. Looks like you folks have been doing some really nice work for the birds.:thumbsup:

Keep up the great work.

Cheers:cheers:,
Irishwhistler

Welcome to the site, I think you'll like it here, no one will judge you on what bird you hunt, dog you choose, or how expensive your shotgun is! We all have the same passion about spending time with family, friends, and doing what we love.

So sit back and relax, read some old Posts and feel free to Post away! I would love to hear about what's going on in the New England area!

Back