Unbiased SD report 10/22-10/25

I take the weekly paper from a town in the general area I hunt…article appeared this week about the rainfall from this summer…they got most of this summers rain on 6/11…4.2”…..very timely.

I'm from Iowa and I personally applaud SD on the way they split their season. If you are about helping the local economy out it makes complete sense. What do the Minneapolis hunter's bring into the Iowa's economy? They fill their tank with gas the night before, pack their cooler and head south on I-35 at 5:30 in the morning. Hunting by 8. Turn around and head home in the afternoon, not even stopping to spend a nickel in the state. You can't compare it to MN's fishing as most of your lakes that people are going to are north of the cities and you don't have Iowan's traveling there for a single day.
I won't disagree with this as I am from MN and hunt IA almost every weekend that the season is open. But I will say the guys that I hunt with we do make a effort to stop and have lunch or buy something while in the state. Just this past weekend we went to the same bar twice, once friday night and then again saturday afternoon because the food was so good and then went to another on saturday night in a completely different part of the state and supported that town as well. I get it that most MN guys drive down in the morning and hurry home at 4:30 when shooting time ends.

the price for a SD NR license is plenty of investment, without adding anything else.
although i often get a room for a night or two, depends on my plan.
i see plenty of new country homes, new combines, tractors and pick ups. i feel no obligation.

Back