UGUIDE Hunt Aberdeen South Camp Week 9

beaglebob1

Our first days hunt was ruff. Wind blowing at 15-35 mph and the birds had been hunted hard 8 weeks prior. We got 3 birds in 3 hours. We could not get close to them; we had 100 yard plus flushes all day. Dogs for this kind of hunting are useless or should I say my pointers are useless for this type of hunting. Stealth was the key and lots of boots on the ground. We decided to try knocking on a few doors and we had some luck and managed to put 12 more in the bag. For two of us me being one this was our first trip to SD hunting birds, I did limit everyday and that was great. These are some seriously educated birds. I was thinking it would be more like Ohio or Kansas where you have a chance of the dogs being able to point a bird. Not the case.
Day two was 6 degrees and 25-40 mph winds. We went to a farm Dennis had told us about and bagged 8 birds.
For more good news, Dennis our contact person set the group up on another farm the last day and a limit was had by all. We all had a good time and stayed in the field from 10am till sunset everyday. Lodging was great as well.
We did make some great contacts while at the local pubs having steak and drinks and have several 1000 acres of prime habitat in the future if I ever go back. :thumbsup::cheers:

Bob, sounds similar to our expereince at Wolf Creek last week. Lots of birds but getting close to them is not easy. Those that are not willing to alter there hunting tactics did not fill game bag and the birds had the upper hand. I guess that is the game late season. You could say that these are probably the most challenign pheasants in North America after having been educated byt hunters each week up until now. Sounds like you were up to the challenge.

Thanks for the report.

So bob how was the hunting on the uguide property? Were bird numbers high? Would you have don better with a couple more hunters? It sounded like your success was not good due to spooky birds and you ended up knocking on doors for much better success. I am considering the uguide route but if I have better look knocking on doors I should re-consider. Not trying to "ruffle any feathers" here.

So bob how was the hunting on the uguide property? Were bird numbers high? Would you have don better with a couple more hunters? It sounded like your success was not good due to spooky birds and you ended up knocking on doors for much better success. I am considering the uguide route but if I have better look knocking on doors I should re-consider. Not trying to "ruffle any feathers" here.

Yeah Bob, could you explain the knocking on doors thing? I didn't follow that. I know you had planned to come in early and hunt public a day but then at last minute i thought not??

Bob, sounds similar to our expereince at Wolf Creek last week. Lots of birds but getting close to them is not easy. Those that are not willing to alter there hunting tactics did not fill game bag and the birds had the upper hand. I guess that is the game late season. You could say that these are probably the most challenign pheasants in North America after having been educated byt hunters each week up until now. Sounds like you were up to the challenge.

Thanks for the report.

Chris we had a great TIME! We worked for it and things went our way. Thats why they call it hunting!I will post some pics this week.:cheers:

Uguide got us in the door.Dennis the Uguide land owner had sent us to one land owner who told us to try here and there. I have that gift of gab...The folks we met in the pub where laddies and we started chatting and shooting pool and they beat us and we had to buy them drinks...They had large farms in the family and they gave us the numbers to call.We where even offered places to stay for free. Great folks in that area. We did not have time to check out the farms on this trip.;)

1000s of birds. getting close was tuff. i would go early next time:)By time we figured out the right tactics we had already hit the place hard. Knocking on doors was a gamble. Another trick we did was having one truck 1/4 mile in front checking ditches and if things looked good or seen birds the hat would be dropped and rear truck would move up to about the 1/8 mile and we would pinch the area and we shot 1/2 dozen that way. They where all wise every place we went.:thumbsup:

Sounds just like our Uguide hunt. Luckily we had 5 guys and figured it out pretty fast. We had some great bird work with our Brits, but only had 5 or 6 good points that lead to close shots (of course I couldnt kill any of those birds, I seem to only be able to kill birds on my third and final hail mary shot at 50+ yards :D). My brit had a few LONG track jobs on running birds that lead to good points, and she nailed a covey of sharptails as well. But most of the birds flushed before I could get into gun range and close to my dog. Our good points came from shelter belts in the trees, otherwise it was a push and blocking show. We bagged 27 birds in 3 days of hunting with 5 guys. We found our birds in Milo, shelter belts, creek beds, and a few in thick grass. The shelter belts held hundreds of birds on the first day, but they weren't quick to come back after that. We were pretty much guaranteed to get shots at birds every time we pushed a milo field.

Chris we had a great TIME! We worked for it and things went our way. Thats why they call it hunting!I will post some pics this week.:cheers:

some pics from our trip

Nice pics Bob. I want one of those signs for my lodge.

Chris the story about the banner: We stopped to eat at this place after hunting and this banner was outside the place. Worst service and food we ever had. So when we left the young fellows in our group said false advertising and cut it down.....:thumbsup:

Back