TX Panhandle

ccrider

Howdy ya'll,
Does anyone have any leads on some hunting ground for pheasant in the TX panhandle. Me and a buddy have been hunting north of the Borger area for a while now. The bird have been a little shy as of years past with good reason. We are looking for some new ground opening weekend and maybe the last weekend of the season. If you can send me some leads it would be great hearing from you. Thanks for your time.

Hunted prime areas around Stratford yesterday and was shutout...will hit Sunray today. If the results are the same, then I'll hit the poultry isle at Lowes grocery.

Funny thing...I saw some pics today of a truckload of pheasant from a Panhandle "guided" hunt. After a few calls, found out they were pen-raised birds planted for the hunt. I did end up with a couple of roosters but two days of very dusty work with my GSP Taz to get them was tough. We need, as everybody does...moisture.

Funny thing...I saw some pics today of a truckload of pheasant from a Panhandle "guided" hunt. After a few calls, found out they were pen-raised birds planted for the hunt. I did end up with a couple of roosters but two days of very dusty work with my GSP Taz to get them was tough. We need, as everybody does...moisture.

How are conditions this season in the Panhandle JMc? Any good news over last season?

Nick

Should have a few more birds but still very low as compared to past years. They are coming back but it will be another slim hunt.

More information. A few links from the "Texas Hunting Forum" on pheasant numbers in the Panhandle:

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/fo...93/pheasant_hunting_in_the_panhan#Post4763493

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4741682/Plainview_birds#Post4741682

My good friend that lives in the N. E. Panhandle reports seeing just a few wild pheasants, but they are a wild bunch, he said he took his dog out for a run and one rooster flushed wild way out of ranch. This is really a good sign, with two or three good damp springs and summers (El Nina type) that country should green up with good vegetation and insects and the wild pheasants should bounce back.

Hunted opening and this past weekend with groups of 12-14. Had two GSP's and a couple of labs on the ground. Very cold first week and 9" of snow this weekend. Came away with 14 birds. Saw a lot of hens. It's slow, but definitely coming back.

Chasing quail at the lake next weekend...may be even a tougher challenge.

That's is good to hear. I hope thing get better in the pan handle of Texas. It has been a very good year so far in AZ. For Rain. We will see how i goes.:cheers:

Back